Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an Epson workforce 600 printer that is having printing…

Customer Question
I have an Epson workforce...
I have an Epson workforce 600 printer that is having printing issues. The printing is very light and sometimes doesn't print at all. We've tried head cleaning numerous times, new ink cartridges, and print alignments. Nozzle checks come out almost blank. Please help! We've only had this printer for about a year and a half and use it daily. I don't want to go out and buy another unit, but I fear the cost of repair to fix it won't make it justifiable.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2010
Technician: Robert Preston, Technician replied 8 years ago
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Robert Preston :

Hello

Robert Preston :

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Customer:

we cleaned it with hot water and then also with the isopropyl alcohol. We did a couple of head cleanings and now it will print lines for us. Any other suggestions before replacing ink cartridges and print head?

Robert Preston :

Hi

Robert Preston :

Unfortunately no, that pretty much covers it.

Robert Preston :

I would say most likely the print head will have to be replaced.

Customer:

I wasn't satisified with your answer and decided to do some more research on my own. I discovered that there are several companies that sell a cleaning kit for printer heads. The kit includes a syringe, hose and cleaning solution. You attach the hose between the ink inlet on the print head and the syringe and inject the solution. An example of this can be seen on YouTube at:

Customer:

Full Size Image
Full Size Image
Full Size Image
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i78Tu3RVO3s

Robert Preston :

Yes, I'm aware of those solutions and also aware they don't do a very good job.

Robert Preston :

But that's up to you.

Robert Preston :

Changing the print head is the best idea.