Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I replaced my drum and toner recently and now I cant get a…

Customer Question
I replaced my drum and...
I replaced my drum and toner recently and now I can't get a clean copy. I've taken out the drum, cleaned the little strip of glass underneath. That helped, but I still got a white stripe down the page of text. I tried to clean it again. and tried to make sure the drum and toner unit were clean. Now I get shadows down the page, as though a roller was picking up the text and transferring it to the next line down. It looks like what is described as bleeding down the page. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/21/2010
Technician: AnswerManCharles, Technician replied 8 years ago
AnswerManCharles
AnswerManCharles, Technician
Hello this is Charles with Just Answer,

This residual image can be caused by a drum cleaning blade that isn't seated or from a worn fuser roller. A good way to check the fuser roller is run a sky shot by covering the first 3 inches of the copy glass with white paper and running a copy with the lid open.

Let me know what you find.
I hope this helps. If you are happy with my answer please accept it, this is how I get paid for my efforts. If it does not work message me back because I want to help you succeed.

Thank you,
Charles
Charles, I ran the sky shot as instructed. The first 3 inches was blank white as expected. The remaining page was black with white significant vertical streaks. There is also less clear horizontal streaking so that you can see a pattern of small squares over a good portion of the page. If you want, I may be able to e-mail you a copy of the page. Thanks for your help. --Bruce
In the black areas is there any glossy looking marks?

Edited by charles_ebs on 6/21/2010 at 3:58 PM EST
The white streaks must be a dirty laser shield.
Pull out the entire drum unit, in the cavity of the machine there is a 1/2 inch strip of glass just below the yellow warning label. wipe the glass clean with a soft cloth.
Charles, I won't be able to answer now until I get home from work at 7:00 p.m. The computer I'm tallking about its at home, so please forgive me for not being able to get back for a while. --Bruce
No problem Bruce, Have a great day!
Charles, Thanks for being patient with me. My grandkids arrived from Ohio last Tuesday and have had my undivided attention since, when I wasn't at work. I've got some experimenting to do based on what you've said. I cleaned the stip of glass but maybe I need to do that with a better cloth, or maybe I got some moisture on the side of the strip (although I used a damp and not a wet cloth). Either way, it still has this bleeding going on. I should be a little more prompt on my answers now we're to a weekend. Sorry. --Bruce

The strip of glass usually just needs the dust knocked off. Really weird patterns can result from a dirty corona wire. Clean the corona unit by running the wire cleaner back and fourth 5 times. Check the drum to see if you can see any residual image one it. The ghost image you see sounds like you may have fuser roller damage or a piece of paper on the fuser roller.

The strip of glass is as clean as I can make it. The corona wire I was aware of and so had cleaned repeatedly. I had also attempted to clean the drum (which I had recently replaced). Is cleaning the outside of the drum sufficient? I took out the toner and tried to clean inside of the toner receptical but could only reach in so far. I have no idea what fuser roller damage is about and how to check that. Would it cause the ghost imaging I'm seeing? Would I see paper on the fuser roller if there was some there? --Bruce
The ghost image can be caused by either a cleaning blade that is not seated on the drum unit or a fuser roller with worn or damaged Teflon or paper wrapped around the fuser roller. If you open a cover while the machine is printing a page to stop it mid cycle you should be able to determine whether it is a fuser or drum. Generally it is not a good idea to clean the drum because it is easily damaged.
Charles, If I faxed or e-mailed a copy of a page, would it help you to diagnose what the problem is? --Bruce
You may be able to post a picture on here, but the site does on allow communication outside if this forum.
Charles, Thanks for trying. I took my printer to a local shop for servicing. Hopefully they can clear up the problem. I'm sorry to have wasted your time.