Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a wireless HP printer and it was working fine. I just…

Customer Question
I have a wireless HP...
I have a wireless HP printer and it was working fine. I just replaced my laptop and dont know how to re-connect with the printer. HELP I am pretty computer illiterate
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/20/2010
Technician: Richard, Technician replied 8 years ago
Richard, Technician

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

To do this please follow the below steps

Insert the CD that comes with the wireless HP printer into any computer that will use the printer. This will allow to setup the initial software and allow you to configure the initial network settings.

Choose where to install the software and which components of the software to install. Typical components for HP printers include the network utility and project creation software. If you already have software for project creation, you don't need to install this. You won't need to install either component for other computers in order to use the printer.

Turn on the HP printer when prompted. Don't connect it to a computer unless directed by the software. If the printer isn't recognized by the software, you may be asked to temporarily connect it via a provided USB cable.

Choose a printer name and an IP address. The IP address should be dynamic.

Press "Continue" to complete the wireless HP printer installation. The entire process can take up to 30 minutes if you install all software components.

Install the printer on other computers by going to "Start -- Printers and Faxes -- Add a Printer." Choose "A Network Printer" to view a list of network printers. Choose the printer name from Step 4 to install and access the wireless printer.

Please let me know if you have any difficulties, or require additional information