Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

After trying to print 50 envelopes my brother HL 4040cn froze…

Customer Question
After trying to print 50...
After trying to print 50 envelopes my brother HL 4040cn froze and returned the error code "print unable 21"

I turned off the printer as instructed. It did not solve the problem.

I contacted brother support by email. They said to send the printer to a "support center" for repair.

How can I fix this without sending it back to Brother? Can I reset it and clear the error code, or flash the firmware?

Paul Diggins
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/18/2010
Technician: AnswerManCharles, Technician replied 8 years ago
AnswerManCharles
AnswerManCharles, Technician
Hello this is Charles with Just Answer,

I can't find the manual but I think error 21 is saying the laser light sensor failed.

Hope this helps.
Please accept my answer, this is how that I get paid for my work and please leave positive feedback for me. I am available for follow up questions or for further comment if needed.
Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue. Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer. Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Thank You,
Charles

Thank you for replying Charles but that does not actually answer my question.

does it, or does it not mean the laser light sensor failed.

if it did fail, is it a mechanical failure that requires parts replacement, or can it be solved with software? Frankly I assumed that this was a memory error but have not been able to find any info. My assumptions don't mean squat.

Is there a reasonably priced source for parts if that is the solution, or is replacing the printer the logical fix?

I don't really want to replace a $400 printer that is less than 15 months old and has seen little use, but the need for the color printer in our office has suddenly become a priority.

PS are these reliable printers or should I look elsewhere after this experience?

Thanks
Paul
When you turn on the machine what happens? Does it go straight to the error?

If the mirror does not spin on the laser, the laser does not fire or their is dust in the way of the sensor it may give the error.

Samsung has some pretty good low end color lasers.
Ah charles, maybe this is the point of confusion.

This is not a samsung.

It is a brother HL 4040CN

But yes it does go straight to the error when I turn on the printer.

It is in a realitively dusty environment - A street sweeping company office in Tucson AZ.

I was suggesting you consider Samsung on your next printer purchase.

Ok, I misundrerstood. Thanks for the recomendation. I have a samsung monochrome and it has been trouble free for 4 years. But then I have a HP4L at home that just refuses to die after 15 years.

Have you been able to asertain if error 21 is the laser failing?

I don't expect to tie you up unreasonablbly over a $400 printer for $11 bucks. But I have another $600 in spare cartridges for this printer. If it is easibly fixable that would be great. If it is not but it is worth replacing with the same to use the cartriges that would be ok.

If these are junk and will probably fail again - and going another direction is the best answer I would appreciate that input also.

The printer goes straight to the error mesage when it boots up.

Thanks
Paul

I am still waiting to learn what print unable 21 error meand and whether it is reparable or not.

please someone reply.
I can not find it. I am opting out. Try relisting the question.

Edited by charles_ebs on 6/18/2010 at 8:23 PM EST
Can anyone there identify this Print Unable 21 error and tell me if it can be easilly repaired or needs to be replaced?