Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I recently purchased an hp p6330f PC. I use a VentaFax for…

Customer Question
I recently purchased an hp...
I recently purchased an hp p6330f PC. I use a VentaFax for faxes. The VentaFax will not recognize the USRobotics USR 5637 external fax modem and will not connect and function as a fax receiver. Any help? Is an internal fax modem available from hp?

Many thanks!

Rich Saul
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/17/2010
Technician: Louie, Technician replied 8 years ago
Louie, Technician
Hi and welcome to the site,

To my understanding, a US Robotics USR5637 is Windows 7 compatible.

Initially, were you able to download the Windows 7 drivers for the USR 5637 from here? If yes, (or even elsewhere) which drivers were downloaded / installed; 32-bit or 64-bit? The drivers should match what ever version of Windows 7 is running in the Pavilion.

Offhand, to find out if the HP Pavilion P6330F Desktop PC is running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7, please perform the following:
  • Open System by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
  • Under System, you can view the system type.

Good luck and thank you for asking.

Edited by Benimur on 6/17/2010 at 4:56 PM EST

I did as instructed but it did not work. The on-screen message in the VentaFax Home Version read as follows:

Selected modem not found (possibly deleted in Windows control panel) (101)

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Rich Saul

Confirm that the modem did install by going to Control Panel / Phone and Modem and in Device Manager.

Which version of VentaFax Home is installed, 6.3?

Incidentally, VentaFax provided a solution to the "Selected modem not found (possibly deleted in Windows Control Panel) (Er 101)" concern here:

Select the appropriate modem under the Modem - Interacting with Modem tab. The external modem may have been turned off at Windows startup.

To determine if the modem has been "turned off at Windows startup.", do an MSCONFIG.

Edited by Benimur on 6/19/2010 at 9:55 PM EST

Benimur,

I really do appreciate you diligent efforts to assist me in my USRobotics Modem/VentaFax problem. However, I had downloaded the correct driver several days ago and still could not get the two to "co-operate" (getting the earlier message "Selected Modem not found..." (101). However, I did go the the VentaFax Settings - selected the correct modem and apparently, everything is OK now. Since this was not among your suggestions, I feel that it may be optional to forward payment. However, since you did your best and cannot make assumptions as to how ignorant I might be (in other words, that might have been your very first suggestion had you assumed I had the most basic level of knowledge). I will leave that up to you (payment, or not) because, as I said, I appreciate your efforts. If you answer is "yes" - you do wish to be paid, is there a way we could split the difference? $19.00 instead of $38? Thanks, Rich

[email protected]

No Rich, payment not necessary if you are not satisfied. Please click here for accounts and billings.

Still, glad that the issue has been resolved, congratulations.

Perhaps this was not that clear "...Select the appropriate modem under the Modem - Interacting with Modem tab..."

Edited by Benimur on 6/20/2010 at 1:47 AM EST