Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

HP Photosmart C7280 displays Ink system failure and error code…

Customer Question
HP Photosmart C7280 displays Ink...
HP Photosmart C7280 displays Ink system failure and error code 0xc18a0001. How can i rectify please.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Technician: Sjena1982, Engineer replied 8 years ago
Sjena1982
Sjena1982, Engineer
Hi ,

Welcome to JustAnswer

1. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu”.

2. Press and release the “OK” button.

3. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already, Arrow Key over to “Hardware failure status”,

4. Press and release the “OK” button.

5. Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”.

6. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.

7. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary, so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.

8. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.

9. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer

10. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”. Press OK.

11. If the printer has already initialized, then go to the next step. If not, the printer will start the “ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION PROCESS”. Allow this process to complete and do not interrupt. Once the initialization process is complete, the printer will print out a Diagnostic Page.

12. To verify printer functionality print a SELF TEST PAGE. If SELF TEST prints, then printer is ready for use.

Thanks & Regards

Satchi
Nothing happens when I press the right arrow. The warning light (orange is flashing) and the message says
Ink system failure
Ink system has failed. Unable to copy,receive faxes,or print. Refer to printer documentation followed by the error code 0xc18a0001.
Turn power off,then on again.
press and hold the '*' key on the key pad, then press the '#' key and release them both. Then enter '123' to enter maintenance mode. press the right arrow (beside the OK button) until System Config. menu appeare on panel. Then press OK two times to clear the error condition, then cancel two or three times to return to the top menu. Then powered off and back on, print a test page just fine, copied a document fine.
Went through the above steps without any difficulty then Printer prepartion occuring do not intterupt. Return to Welcome page. Then back to Ink system failure and the error code
Anything else I can try? please
Try these 2 procedures:

1/
- Unplug the printer without turning it off.
- Press On for 1O seconds.
- Release the button and replug the printer.

2/

(Careful, this will erase the printer's memory, like printing queues etc.)
- Unplug the printer.
- Press simultaneously "#" and "6" and keep these buttons pressed.
- Replug the printer without releasing these buttons.
- The display will say " Stop " or something like this, then "semi full reset" . Release the buttons now.
- Start the printer now. It will ask you to set the language and the country. If it doesn't, repeat all steps.

The first step did not work, the second one did as far as choosing the language and UK, then reverted back to the Ink system failure window. and flashing orange exclaimation mark.
Okk

I am out of ideas

I will open this to other experts
The problem first occured when I changed the yellow cartridged 363. I had left it late to change it so whether this has anything to do with it. I need to go to work now so will not be able to stay in touch until this evening. Will contact you then.
OKay

You will get notified by email when other expert joins you
There is a grating sound coming from the print cartridge cradle and the Ink system failure still appearing.
The print head seems to be faulty ...

Technician: PrinterExpert, Technician replied 8 years ago
PrinterExpert
PrinterExpert, Technician
Thank you for using justanswer.com
I am here to assist you regarding your problem

Once again follow the steps carefully from the front panel of the All-in-One.
1. Get the unit into the “Support Menu” by following the steps given below.
A. - Press and hold the “*” key.
B. - Press the “#” key and release both keys.
Now Display should say “Enter Special Key Combo”
C. - Press and release in sequence the “1”, “2” and “3” buttons.
Now the Display should say “Support” and display the FW rev (something like R0631R)
2. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu”.
3. Press and release the “OK” button.
4. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already, Arrow Key over to “Hardware failure status”,
5. Press and release the “OK” button.
6. Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”.
7. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.
8. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary, so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.
9. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.
10. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer
11.Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK T
12.If that does not help then printer hardware issue. It will need service
PrinterExpert
PrinterExpert, Technician
Technician: NeOh, Engineer replied 8 years ago
NeOh
NeOh, Engineer

Hi ,

Welcome to JustAnswer

It seems the solution you've already tried.

Try this once and check

Press the On button to turn the printer off. Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.Remove all the ink cartridges.

Now Wait two minutes.

Plug the power cord into the back of the printer and Press the On button to turn the printer on. Install the ink cartridges when prompted.

If the error code does not display, the issue is resolved.

Thanks !

Edited by NeOh on 6/17/2010 at 6:58 AM EST
Before trying the other expert's answer, give a try to the solution given by me. That worked for one of my customer last week.