Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a HP PHOTOSMART C5180 All -in -one printer.Yesterday…

Customer Question
I have a HP PHOTOSMART...
I have a HP PHOTOSMART C5180 All -in -one printer.Yesterday I ran out of one type of ink
when i tried to print, it said that i could only print in black untill i replaced that cartrigde, i've since replaced that ink with a new one and it keeps saying i need to replace it
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/15/2010
Technician: Andy, Elec & Comp pro replied 8 years ago
Andy, Elec & Comp pro

Welcome to JustAnswer !! I am Andy and I will be glad to help you out with your issue today.

- How and when did this problem begun. Was there a paper jam or did you replace the ink cartridge.

- When did you buy this printer and since when are you facing this issue. How often do you use printer.

- Does your cartridge has a nozzle on it like this (sample pic) :

graphic

the problem began today, all i did was replace the cartridge. there was no paper jam. i bought this printer in 2007 and i've never had a problem with it and i use it often, 2 or 3 times a week. no it does not have a nozzle like that.
Hi

Please remove all cartridges. Using a moist cloth clean the golden contacts on cartridge as well as printer. Use a moist cloth to clean the nozzle of cartridge. Dont insert the cartridge yet.

Please do this :
1. Remove the power cable from printer. Remove the USB cable that connects printer to computer (remove it from printer as well as computer's usb port)
2. Press the printer power button and keep pressed for 3 minutes then release
3. Now plug in the power cable and usb cable (connect printer to computer) and power on the printer.

Then plug in the cartridges.

Now see if its working fine. Let me know.

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT".

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

it did not work!

This Error code signifies that the printer is not able to recognize a compatible cartridge.

This can happen because of two reasons :
1. Your cartridges are bad / defective.
2. Your printer's cartridge sensor has gone bad.

We tried a hard reset but it didnt help either.

Now you will have to buy new genuine cartridge to confirm if its a printer issue or not.

Your best option is to buy genuine cartridge from a store where they take back open cartridges if they are defective. That way you can return them and save your money.

If error persists with new cartridge than it would be cheapest to buy a new printer if this one is more than 1 yr old and out of warranty.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" to pay me for my work.