Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Hi, Im consulting for a microfilm company that is looking to…

Customer Question
Hi, Im consulting for a...
Hi, Im consulting for a microfilm company that is looking to switch to Omnipage. So far its tested well except for the fact that it errors out on older newspaper scans as the scan quality is very low. Abbyy doesnt error but produces mostly garbage, but A) there is some serchable content and B) finishes the batch process producing XML and PDF files for the input image(s).

Is there a way to get Omnipage to recognize as much as possible, maybe guess the rest, and produce output files without erroring out. Accuracy is of less concern on these older documents than actually producing text and Image.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/15/2010
Technician: James Clark, Engineer replied 8 years ago
James Clark
James Clark, Engineer
Hi!

One thing you can do is turn on the 3D OCR setting in the Scanner section of the Settings panel. That will tell Omnipage that the text is of poor quality.

You can also try creating a training file for the font, especially if it is consistently missing certain letters. The training file can be up to 256 shapes.

Also, I would try turning off the Language Analyst. Unfortunately, I do not know of any way to adjust the number of rejects that it will allow before cancelling.

I've found that Abbyy and Omnipage are very different programs, and the recognition has very different characteristics. Abbyy is a lightweight program, that is focused on giving you a quick and fairly accurate OCR text translation. Omnipage is heavyweight, and far more oriented around trying to recreate the layout for a document conversion.

My conclusion was that they each have different strengths, and do somewhat different jobs. For converting print to text, I prefer Abbyy. For re-typesetting a book, Omnipage is best.

Let me know if you feel that I can be of further assistance. I'll be happy to answer your questions.

Hi!

I see that you have reviewed my response to your question about Omnipage. If you are satisfied with the response, please click accept so that I am credited. If not, and you have more questions, please let me know. I'll be glad to address them, or opt-out if you feel that another expert might be able to address them better.

Thanks,

Sorry for the Delay, But I am consulting with others, as well as looking into the settings you mentioned. Do you know if its possible to "chain" Omnipage and abbey together. For example having Omnipage remove source images, when it errors out it will leave the bad scans for abbyy?
Offhand, I don't know if that is possible directly. It's possible that XP VBA scripting can automate some portions of the task.

Overnight in thinking about your problem, I wanted to mention one possibility that might help. Often, raising the resolution of the scan to 300dpi or more can help. Scanning at 600dpi, blurring the image, adjusting the contrast, then reducing back to 300dpi can help. That kind of manipulation can be done under batch control with image adjustment tools.

I did some searching on the Nuance site, and they have a help page that describes some combinations of settings that may help for particular document scans. The page is at:

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55/~/ocr-results-do-not-match-original-document

I'll see if I can find out anything more about chaining them. At least to ensure than the scanning stage only needs to be done once, with the most suitable output. Also, if it is possible to send configuration parameters to the application when it is evoked by a batch processing command.