Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My hp photosmart all in one C5180 displays it needs serviced...what…

Customer Question
My hp photosmart all in...
My hp photosmart all in one C5180 displays it needs serviced...what can i do without taking it in?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/15/2010
Technician: Freddy M., Technician replied 8 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
What is the exact error message including any numbers?

0xc18a0106 for the ink cart. also theres another....but since this popped up the other one is missin but b4 it sd it needed serviced

does it say "ink system failure" as well?

yes

Try this first.
  1. Press the On button to turn the printer off.
  2. Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.
  3. Remove all the ink cartridges.
  4. Wait two minutes.
  5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.
  6. Press the On button to turn the printer on.
  7. Install the ink cartridges when prompted.
If that did not work. This can be a few things, it could be the print head or the encoder strip needs to be replaced. Or it could just need a reset. Please follow these solutions one at a time. If one does not work or one of the steps cannot be performed please go to the next one. If you do not have one of the buttons go to the next solution. These steps are used for all HP printers so one solution may not be possible with your machine. If thats the case go to the next solution and try those steps.

Solution One

1. Get the unit into the “Support Menu” by following the steps below :

A. - Press and hold the “left arrow” key.
B. - Press the “Setup” key and release both keys.
Display should say “Enter Special Key Combo”
C. - Press and release the “OK” button.

Display should say “Support” and display the FW rev (something like R0616R)

2. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu”.

3. Press and release the “OK” button.

4. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already, Arrow Key over to “Hardware failure status”,

5. Press and release the “OK” button.

6. Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”.

7. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.

8. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary, so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.

9. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.

10. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer

11. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”. Press OK. The Printer will start the “ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION PROCESS”. Allow this process to complete and do not interrupt. Once the initialization process is complete, the printer will print out a Diagnostic Page.

12. To verify printer functionality print a SELF TEST PAGE. If SELF TEST prints, then printer is ready for use or Software Installation.

Solution Two

Press and hold the '*' key on the key pad,
then press the '#' key and release them both.

Then enter '123' to enter maintenance mode.

Press the right arrow (beside the OK button) until System Config. menu appears on panel. Then press OK two times to clear the error condition,

then cancel two or three times to return to the top menu.

Then power off and back on, print a test page

Solution Three

If both solutions ones and two fail it means your waste ink absorber is full and needs to be replaced. The absorber is a small sponge like pad inside the machine underneath the ink cartridge cradle. It sits underneath the cradle when the cradle is all the way to the right inside the machine. To fix this problem that pad needs to be replaced.

Solution Four

If all the other solutions fail it means the print head inside the machine has failed. In order to fix this the print head inside the printer needs to be replaced. The print head is the part of the printer that puts ink from the cartridges onto the page. Unfortunately this can sometimes cost more to replace then the machine itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click “Accept”.

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back are appreciated.

Please note that not all issues can be fixed online.

The steps you were given may have confirmed the only solution is repair.

If that was the case please click "Accept”.

On sol 1 there is no harware solu area ....and the fw number is XXXXX
These steps are used for all HP printers so one solution may not be possible with your machine. If thats the case go to the next solution and try those steps. Since slution one is not possible for your machine please go to the next. If you do not have one of the buttons continue to the next soltuion as well.