Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Xerox M20i. We are getting a fast busy signal on long distance…

Customer Question
Xerox M20i. We are getting...
Xerox M20i. We are getting a fast busy signal on long distance calls and faxes (outgoing), we can use an office phone and call the same numbers with no probelms. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2010
Technician: Omer Mushahwar, Technician replied 8 years ago
Omer Mushahwar
Omer Mushahwar, Technician

Hi I am one of the experts here on just answer.com

I have a couple of quick questions

1) when using the office phone do you have to dial a code to make a long distance call? Some times adding a pause in the number between a code makes it work

2) Is the fast busy on all out going faxes?

I have tried the pause to no avail. This has just started happening after about a year of service. The fast busy is only on long distance, the machine only though, phones work fine.
what type of code do you have to type in to your phone system when making long distance calls? 4 digits?

Also do you need to dial a number to get an outside line?
With some of these the outside number is XXXXX in so maybe its being dialed twice? Or the 1 not being put in for long distance have you tried all these options?
No code for LD, just 9 for outside line, look we messed with this for 3 hours today. You are asking me stuff we thought of in the first 10 min. Is there a setting on the machine causing this?
I know i was asking a couple simple questions just to try and get a baseline for your phone system.

There is no setting in the xerox itself that can turn off Long Distance Dialing. Depending on how your phone system is setup however it could be an issue with the phone line itself.

We used a specialized phone system in my office but all the fax machines need to be on their own separate pots lines(regular land lines). When we had a similar issue after exhausting all the issues the machine and phone dialing out could have we found the problem to be our phone carrier, they were having an issue with one of their switches and while our phones could dial out long distance our fax could not. I would call your carrier and give them the fax number usually its something they can check in a matter of minutes.