Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a Sharp AL-1551CS Copier. It needed a new drum and…

Customer Question
I have a Sharp AL-1551CS...
I have a Sharp AL-1551CS Copier. It needed a new drum and I bought one that was not a Sharp, but was compatible. Ever since I put that drum in, the copier has not worked the way it is suppossed to. After about 6 front & back copies or sometimes after each copy, it had a paper jam. Eventually, it stopped working entirely and said it needed new toner. This time, I bought a genuine Sharp toner and drum. Now it makes about 1 copy before it has a paper jam. My question is... Can I do anything myself to fix this problem? I cannot afford the $150 an hour fee to have the copier looked at. Thank you so much!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/15/2010
Technician: Michael Hannigan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

Does the paper jam indication now remain constantly, or does it happen after it starts to print each copy?

Also, where has it been jamming? Is the original jamming in an auto document feeder, or is it the copy that is getting stuck?

If you can provide this additional information, we should be able to get it back to normal. I agree, the $150/hour fee is ridiculous. We can most likely find the answer here.

The paper jam indication light comes on either after a copy has come through without jamming or after a copy has gotten stuck. It is the copy that is getting stuck. If you open up the right side of the copier, there is a part that looks like it has spikes or teeth on it, you can open this part and release the jammed copy. The jammed copy is not folded up like an accordian, but is just a little bent. Sometimes after I remove the jammed paper the light will go off, but sometimes it doesn't.

Ok. Just a couple more questions.

So would you say that the paper itself appears to not actually be jamming, but the printer falsely detecting the jam is what stops it?

I assume this is happening on single-sided copies, but I have to ask. If it is only being used it duplex mode, a solution would most likely be different.

And finally... I just want to verify that the lights indicate a misfeed error, and not a drum or toner error.

Sometimes there is no paper jam, other times there is. It happens on both single-sided and double-sided copies. Usually on double sided copies if I am making two copies, one will come out with only one side printed on and the other one will get jammed. It is not the same problem every time. Sometimes the light comes on when there is no paper stuck in the machine, other times there is a paper stuck in there. The toner and drum lights have not come on since I replaced them.

If the light comes up when you are absolutely certain there is no paper stuck in the machine (even a very small piece), then it is most likely a faulty jam sensor that will have to be replaced.

I would suggest going through the paper path in very good lighting and make absolutely certain that there isn't a small piece of paper somewhere If it is near a sensor, a piece smaller than your fingernail could cause the printer to constantly think it's jammed.

The other thing I would suggest, is running some card stock (or the heaviest stock you can get your hands on without wasting a bunch of money) through the device a few times, and even the duplexer. This can sometimes clean the path of any debri that is either too small to see or hidding within the mechinism.

If none of these options work, then you most likely have a faulty jam sensor that needs to be replaced. Of course, before you do that, I would reseat the toner and drum, etc, just to make sure. I'm sure you know what it's like to have a tech come in, do that, and then hand you something to sign.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Technician
As much as I could, I looked at the paper path with a flash light and I could not find any paper. I then ran some heavy card stock through the machine. I had to feed it in through the side. I could not get the machine to pick up the card stock when I placed it in the paper tray. I reseated the toner and drum and it still did not make a difference. If the machine needs a new jam sensor, is that something that I could replace myself or does it have to be done by a professional? Thank you so much for your help so far!
Technician: AnswerManCharles, Technician replied 8 years ago
AnswerManCharles
AnswerManCharles, Technician
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

What jam code do you get?

What is happening is that the red paper misfeed light comes on. Sometimes when I open up the side CH is lit up in red as well.

Hello this is Charles with Just Answer,

CH means the door interlock is open. I think it also says CH if the drum is not inserted. If your door interlock is not making a good connection it will cause random paper jams. Try running the machine while holding pressure on the right side door. If this stops the jamming then you will need to repair or replace the interlock.

Hope this helps.
Please accept my answer, this is how that I get paid for my work and please leave positive feedback for me. I am available for follow up questions or for further comment if needed.
Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue. Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer. Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Thank You,
Charles