Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

MFC 640 CW not much use lately, but black will not print…

Customer Question
MFC 640 CW : not...
MFC 640 CW :
not much use lately, but black will not print ( near full ), colours ok on test.
Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/14/2010
Technician: Sandeep Pamarati, Engineer replied 8 years ago
Sandeep Pamarati

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your query...

To verify the ink cartridges are installed correctly follow the steps listed below:

1. Open the scanner cover by lifting it from the right-hand side until it locks securely into the open position.

2. Remove the ink cartridge that is not printing by pulling the white plastic hook (locked over the edge of the ink cartridge) toward you, then lifting the cartridge out.

3. Reinstall the ink cartridge. Press down FIRMLY on the top of the cartridge until it is fully seated. Push the white plastic hook towards the cartridge to verify it is fully latched over the cartridge's top edge.

4. Lift the scanner cover to release the lock and gently push the scanner cover support down to close the cover.

5. The fax machine should begin cleaning automatically, and the LCD will alternately show "CLEANING" and "PLEASE WAIT". When the fax machine completes its cleaning cycle, the LCD will display the date and time. Print the Print Quality Check Sheet and see if all colors are present:

1. Press the Ink, Ink/Reports, Ink Management/Reports or Ink Management key.
2. Use the up or down navigation key to select TEST PRINT.
3. Press Menu/Set to confirm your choice.
4. Use the up or down navigation key to select PRINT QUALITY.
5. Press Menu/Set to confirm your choice. Press the Color(Colour) Start key to print the Test Sheet.

If one or more of the colors is still missing from the printed page, cleaning the print head may resolve this problem. When cleaning the print head, you are given the option to clean BLACK ONLY, three colors at a time (CYAN, YELLOW, and MAGENTA), or all four colors at once. For this issue we recommend cleaning only the affected color. If more than one color is missing then select ALL. Follow the steps listed below to clean the print head:

Cleaning the Print Head

2. Use the up or down navigation key to select CLEANING.

4. Use the up or down navigation key to select the color that is not printing
-OR-
Select ALL if more than one color is not printing.

5. Press Menu/Set to confirm you choice.

6. The machine should begin cleaning automatically, and the LCD will alternately show "CLEANING" and "PLEASE WAIT". When the machine completes its cleaning cycle, the LCD will display the date and time.

7. Test by printing the "Print Quality Check Sheet":

If one or more of the ink colors is still missing from the printed page, repeat the print head cleaning steps listed above up to 4 more times. After each cleaning, print the Print Quality Check Sheet to see if there is any improvement.

Let me know if you have any further questions on this issue...