Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

A few weeks ago I bought a photosmart printer and it worked…

Customer Question
A few weeks ago I...
A few weeks ago I bought a photosmart printer and it worked fine until I changed the cartridges today. Now all I get when I try to print or copy something is a blank page. I've removed the cartridges and put them back in, but that didn't help. Am I doing something wrong. The ink level shows all 5 cartridges up to the top.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/13/2010
Technician: Robert Preston, Technician replied 8 years ago
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Robert Preston :

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Customer:

I still get a blank sheet. The printer does not give me the aligning cartridges message which I've gotten before when I changed the black cartridge only.

Customer:

How will I know which cartridge is defective?