Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

HP Desktop D1660 Printer - After loading the Software from…

Customer Question
HP Desktop D1660 Printer -...
HP Desktop D1660 Printer - After loading the Software from the CD, the computer (
an HP Compaq using Windows Vista) will not recognize the Printer. I'm connecting it via the USB cable. I've used several cables, all available USB Ports, and tries all Comm Ports, LPT ports and the XPS Port. I've Installed, Un-Installed and Re-instaled the software & Drivers. Still, the nothing will print. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/12/2010
Technician: Sowrav D., Engineer replied 8 years ago
Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

Please follow the steps to resolve the issue....

Reset the printer

After you resolve all potential USB conflicts, follow these steps to restart the HP product.
  1. Press the Power button to turn off the product.
  2. NOTE: The product might not turn off after pressing the Power button. Continue to the next step regardless.
  3. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the product.
  4. Unplug the power cord from the electrical outlet.
  5. Wait 30 seconds.
  6. Replug the power cord into the electrical outlet.
  7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the product.
  8. Press the Power button to turn on the product.
  • If the installation automatically continues and completes successfully , you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
  • If the installation does not automatically continue , restart the installation process.
  • If the issue persists , continue to the next solution.
Refresh the Windows Device Manager

Follow these steps to refresh the Windows Device Manager.
  1. On the Windows task bar, click the Windows icon type devmgmt.msc in the Start Search text box, and then press Enter . The Windows Device Manager opens.
  2. Click the plus sign next to the following entries to expand them, and then look for your HP product in each list:
    • IEEE 1284.4 compatible printers
    • Universal Serial Bus controllers
    • Other devices
    • If you see your product with yellow exclamation mark next to it , or the phrase 'Unknown device ,' continue with the steps in this procedure.
    • Figure 1: Example of Device Manager Entries with a yellow exclamation markDescription of Device Manager entries with a yellow exclamation  point
    • If you do not see your product in the list , or there is no yellow exclamation point, discontinue the steps in this procedure and continue to the next solution.
  3. Right-click the HP device/Unknown device entry (or the entry with the yellow exclamation point), and then click Update driver . The Welcome to hardware update wizard opens.
  4. Select No, not this time , and then click Next .
  5. Select Install the software automatically , and then click Next . Follow the on-screen instructions to finish refreshing the device manager.
  6. Repeat these steps for all device entries with a yellow exclamation mark.
  • If these steps resolved the issue , you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
Completely uninstall and reinstall the HP software

Follow these steps to completely uninstall the HP software, turn off background programs, and then reinstall the software.Step one: Uninstall the HP softwareEven if the HP software did not install successfully, there might be components of the software installed on your computer. Follow these steps to remove the HP software.
  1. Unplug the USB cable connecting the product to the computer.
  2. On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon , and then click Control Panel . The Windows Control Panel opens.
  3. Click Programs . In the list of installed programs, click the HP product, and then click Uninstall . Make sure to remove all of the following programs, if they are present:
    • HP Deskjet/Officejet/Photosmart software
    • HP Imaging device functions
    • HP Customer Participation program
    • HP Solution Center or HP Director
    • HP Photosmart Essentials or Express, HP Photosmart Premier, or HP Image Zone
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the HP software removal.
  5. CAUTION: If asked to remove shared files, click No . Other programs that use these files might not work if you delete the files.
  6. Disconnect the product from the power source, and then restart the computer.
Step two: Clear temporary files and foldersFollow these steps to remove temporary files and folders. It is important that you complete this step to make sure that the problem files are not reinstalled in the following steps.
  1. On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), type %temp% in the Start Search box, and then press Enter .
  2. Click Organize , and then click Select All .
  3. Under Organize again, and then click Delete .
  4. CAUTION: An 'Access is denied ' error might occur. If so, click to close the error message, and then continue deleting the remaining files.
Step three: Turn off Terminate and Stay Resident programs (TSRs) and other background programsWhen the computer is on, a software group called the Terminate and Stay Resident (TSR) programs automatically loads. These programs activate computer utilities such as the antivirus software, but are not required for the computer to function. Occasionally, TSRs prevent the product software from loading so that the software does not install correctly. In Microsoft Windows Vista, the MSCONFIG utility prevents TSR programs and services from starting.
  1. On the Windows taskbar click the Windows icon ( ).
  2. In the Start Search box, type msconfig , and then press Enter . The System Configuration Utility window opens.
  3. Click the General tab, and then select Selective Startup .
  4. If there is a check mark next to Load Startup items , select the check mark to remove it.
  5. Click the Services tab, and then click the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  6. Click Disable all .
  7. Click Apply , and then click Close .
  8. NOTE: If an 'Access is denied ' error message displays on the computer when you make changes, click OK , and then continue. The message does not prevent you from making changes.
  9. Select Restart to apply the changes to the computer during the next restart.
  10. NOTE: After the computer restarts and the desktop screen appears, you might get a prompt stating 'You’ve used system configuration utility to make changes to the way windows starts .' To prevent this message from displaying again, select Do not show this message again .
Step four: Reinstall the HP softwareIf you still have the CD that came with your HP product, you can insert the CD into your CD drive and follow the on-screen instructions to install the software. However, HP recommends downloading and installing the software to make sure you have the latest version. Follow these steps to download and install the software.
  1. Click here to go to the software and drivers download page on the HP Web site.
  2. If you have not already done so, type your product number in the designated text box, and then click Next .
  3. If necessary, click your product model number from the list of matching products.
  4. Click your operating system. A list of available software and driver downloads displays.
  5. In the Driver section, click the Full Feature software and Drivers option.
  6. NOTE: If you prefer a basic install, click the basic version instead of the full feature version.
  7. Thoroughly review the download options and information, and then click Install now or Download only , depending on your download preferences.
  8. NOTE: Click the View directions ( ) link for step-by-step instructions on downloading and installing the software.
  9. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
Step five: Re-enable startup programs

Follow these steps to re-enable the startup programs you turned off in the previous steps.
  1. On the Windows task bar, click the Windows icon , type msconfig in the Start Search text box, and then press Enter . The System Configuration Utility window opens.
  2. Click the General tab, and then select Normal Startup .
  3. Click the Services tab, and select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
  4. Click Apply , and then click Close .
  5. Click Restart to apply the changes the next time the computer starts.
Install the printer on another computerIf you have another computer available, try installing the HP product on that computer. If you do not have another computer, go to the next solution.
  • If the installation is successful on the other computer , install a USB powered hub on the first computer. If the installation still fails after installing a USB powered hub, contact the computer manufacturer to address issues with the first computer.
  • If the installation still fails then the problem seems to be with the printer USB port.

Source:HP