Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My laserjet 500N has decided to not recognize the tabloid tray…

Customer Question
My laserjet 500N has decided...
My laserjet 500N has decided to not recognize the tabloid tray 3. I used to be able to set up documents in CS4 InDesign on 11 x 17, set the proper paper size in page set-up, hit the print button and off I'd go. No longer. Now it asks that I load 11 x 17 in tray 2 (default). All was working well until now. I'm using OS X 10.5.8
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 day by:
6/14/2010
Technician: AnswerManCharles, Technician replied 8 years ago
AnswerManCharles
AnswerManCharles, Technician
Hello this is Charles with Just Answer,

Check the setting on the tray. There is a blue knob to select the paper size and a little lever to set for 11x17. The knob changes actuators for paper size switches.

Hope this helps.
Please accept my answer, this is how that I get paid for my work and please leave positive feedback for me. I am available for follow up questions or for further comment if needed.
Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue. Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer. Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Thank You,
Charles

There are two drawers. One for LETTER, the other for TABLOID or LEGAL, etc. All hardware settings are fine and have not been altered. No one handles this machine besides me.
If it does not recognize the tray at all, you can try removing the tray and reinstalling it, this might correct a bad connection. I have seen the tray 3 board go bad. The machine just sits on the tray 3 and lifts off the tray three and there may be a screw that secures it to the printer.
I had tried that in my initial check. Shut everything down, removed drawers and paper supply. Started printer then inserted drawers to force their recognition. No luck.
Did you separate the bottom tray from the rest of the printer? I an talking about the assembly the tray slides into.
No. I will give that a whirl.
It is a good idea to have a helper to help with this task.
No luck. Perhaps it's time for a replacement.
You probably do have a bad circuit board that controls that paper tray. I think the last one I bought was about $40 and the repair takes about 30 minutes.