Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have a used multipass f80 with an alarm check printer and…

Customer Question
I have a used multipass...
I have a used multipass f80 with an alarm "check printer and press resume" resulting in a fast buzzing/grinding sound and the alarm remains. I have checked and cleaned every accessible crevice. What else can i do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/12/2010
Technician: NeOh, Engineer replied 8 years ago
NeOh
NeOh, Engineer

this is a pretty general error.

first you try this

Remove the USB cable then turn off the printer, then turn on it again and plug in the USB cable on the USB port. Now check again

if that doesn't solve the issue, then Its because the print head is jammed or the print head is damaged. he print head is mounted on a belt. The cog may have seized or the belt shredded and bound

You may have to replace the print heads. that will fix this issue.

Thanks
Shidhin

Edited by shidhincr on 6/12/2010 at 2:42 AM EST

Thank you Shidhin, but that did not work. I can see 2 parts mounted on a belt one is the the ink cartridge assembly, the other is associated with the scan/copy mechanism. It appears the ink cartridge is moving. The noise sounds like a seized cog somewhere but where? I need advice on how to navigate the machine (remove screws- schematics etc... i.e. instructions on replacing print heads, or stripped cog.) oddly in my very inexperienced mind I thought it was associated with the paper feed-what do you think?

Technician: Robert Preston, Technician replied 8 years ago
Robert Preston
Robert Preston, Technician
Hello Sir or Madam,

Welcome to JustAnswer Printers & Office. I will be happy to help you with your problem today.

Most likely this is a print head issue. The print head is what the cartridges sit in inside of the printer. To attempt to resolve it, do the following:

(1) Open the printer and wait for the carriage to slide over. If for some reason it does not follow these instructions:
(a) Unplug the printer
(b) Manually slide the carriage over until you can get the ink cartridges out.
(2) Remove the ink cartridges from the print head.
(3) Use cotton swabs dipped in hot water or a mix of hot water and isopropyl alcohol to thoroughly clean the print head.
(4) Repeat this until there is no ink residue coming off on the cotton swab.
(5) Once finished, allow to dry and replace the cartridges
(6) Try to print something now

If that does not work then you have one of two possibilities:
(1) One of the ink cartridges is defective and causing the error
(2) If it's definitely not that, then the print head will need to be replaced.

Thanks,
Robert Preston
sorry. This doesn't help. I already replaced the print head and bought new print cartridges at $75+ and wish I had not bothered justanswer.com. the problem was mechanical and I could not get the schematics to track down a bad mechanism through this site. sorry! I had the printer destroyed. I do not wish to provide any negative feedback as I believe your effort was in earnest. so i am left in limbo.