Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

My printer has an ink system failure it tells me to turn…

Customer Question
My printer has an "ink...
My printer has an "ink system failure" it tells me to turn the printer off and then back on. I have done it three times and it hasn't worked.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/12/2010
Technician: James, Sr. Printers/Copiers Expert replied 8 years ago
James, Sr. Printers/Copiers Expert
First, reset then printer:

1. Unplug the printer for one minute.
2. Connect the printer to the wall again.
3. Hold the CANCEL and OK buttons together, and while they are pressed hit the On button.

Then:
1. - Press and hold the “*” key.
2. - Press the “#” key and release both keys.
Display should say “Enter Special Key Combo”
3. - Press and release in sequence the “1”, “2” and “3” buttons.
4. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says “System Configuration Menu”.
5. Press and release the “OK” button.
6. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already, Arrow Key over to “Hardware failure status”,
7. Press and release the “OK” button.
Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to clear”.
8. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.
9. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary, so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears, or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PRINT AT THIS STAGE.
10. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.
11. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer
12. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”. Press OK. The Printer will start the “ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION PROCESS”. Allow this process to complete and do not interrupt. Once the initialization process is complete, the printer will print out a Diagnostic Page.

Once all that is done, try to print again.

J.
The instructions are not working. Hitting the "*" and "#" does not bring up the screen you indicate.
I'll opt out so that another expert can try and help you.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I did a little work on my own and I believe it is the printhead that is defective. I did all the resets and cleaned the printhead and it still didn't help.

Thanks,
RTG
You are welcome!

Sorry, I can't accept answer because it didn't work. The advice you provided didn't work for my printer, ultimately I realized on my own that the printhead assembly is no good.