Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

We just purchased and installed the HL5370-DW. We have a parallel…

Customer Question
We just purchased and installed...
We just purchased and installed the HL5370-DW. We have a parallel port connection. The printer is installed and wired to our main desktop machine and our laptops are connected via a network. One of the laptops connected just fine and recognized the printer. Printed just fine. The other laptop says recognizes the printer and says it has been successfully added but it will not print to it. The icon in the start tray indicates the Brother is off line. How do I get it on line? HELP!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/11/2010
Technician: Sowrav D., Engineer replied 8 years ago
Sowrav D.
Sowrav D., Engineer
Welcome to Just Answer ,My name isXXXXX will try to help you..

Which Operating System do you use like Windows XP or Vista etc...?
Windows XP
Ok
Now follow the steps below and let me know if it helps....

Click on Start-->Printers and Faxes.

Right Click on the Printer Icon and select Use printer Online.

and then check the issue.
That option is not listed.
Then what are the options that you can see there?
Open, Print Preferences, Pause, Cancel, Sharing, Create Shortcut, Delete, Rename, and Properties
Are you trying this steps on the laptops or desktop?
Laptop
Can you print from the desktop please check it and let me know...
Yes and also from the second laptop. Does the desktop need to be set to Sharing?
Please follow the steps in this LINK to share the printer and let me know if it helps...or not and remember the desktop should be power on when you are trying to print something from the laptops.
I did that and the icon on the laptop is still saying Off Line. Do I need to share it on the lap top too?
NO just delete it from the laptop restart the laptop and reinstall the printer on the laptop and let me know if it done the job or not.
I deleted it from the laptop, restarted and reinstalled and it still doesn't work but it is now showing it to be on line rather than off line. Still won't print though.
What happens when you try to print?
Absolutely nothing! Printing from the desk top is no problem but nothing at all from the laptop.
Do you face the same problem with all the laptops?
No, the other laptop has no problem printing to it.
Do you have XP installed on the laptop from which you are unable to print?
XP is on all 3 of the machines; the 2 laptops and the desk top all have the same version.
File and printer sharing, or at least printer sharing, must be enabled on both computers.
The Workgroup names of both computers must be the same in their Network properties.Please check the settings and let me know if the sharing is not enabled then enable them and make the Work group name same for the desktop and laptop.

Here are the step by step instructions for enabling printer sharing in XP.

1. Open the control panel. You will find this by clicking on start, then settings, and then control panel. Click on the icon that says “Network and Internet Connections”

2. Once you are in there. Click on the icon that says “Network Connections”

3. Now you will find your network cards listed here. You will need to right click on the card you want to enable file sharing. Select the properties menu

4. Go to the advanced tab, and click on settings

5. Go to the exceptions menu and make sure file and printer sharing is checked.

6. Click OK, and in the “Network Connections” Folder click on the tools menu, and select “Folder Options…”

7. Go to the view tab. Scroll down and make sure “Use simple file sharing” is unchecked.

8. Click OK. Sharing is now on, but if you have not set a password for your username you still will not be able to share – Once you do this you will now be able to share printers and files again.

I did this yesterday too but only on one of the machines. Did it on the other today and still does cannot print from the laptop.
Do you have restarted the laptop after following the steps of not then do so and let me know..
I'm sorry but still no luck.
Once again delete the printer and add the printer if that did not help then follow the steps below and let me know.....

Click "Start"

Click "Run"

Type in "services.msc"

Click OK

Find Print Spooler in the list of services

Click "Stop"

Once the service has stopped, restart it by clicking on "Start"

Restart the PC and Printer.
Still nothing.
I am out of ideas I will open this question for other experts...
Thank you. Any help would be appreciated. For what it is worth, the other lap top is not now working either! Must have something to do with the changes we made in the settings? Be back with you tomorrow.
Thank you for your efforts even though none of the suggestions worked. We disabled a couple of the items that were in my start up, deleted the printer (again), reinstalled it (again) and it finally worked. It must have been something conflicting within the start ups? Anyway, thank you for trying to help me!