Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Hi, Im trying to setup an HP c4750 wireless printer, and having…

Customer Question
Hi, Im trying to setup...
Hi, Im trying to setup an HP c4750 wireless printer, and having zero luck! I get through the entire setup process using the step by step CD, but when it gets to the very end...it says printer setup not complete...with a big red X! I clicked on retry a thousand times with no luck! I have no idea what could be wrong!? I went shut down everything and restarted the process, still got to the end and got the big red X! Can someone pleeeeease help me???!!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/11/2010
Technician: tbwhite2040, Technician replied 8 years ago
tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Technician

What does the error message say when it gives you the red X?

it says..."click retry to try installing the printer again or click next to continue installation without connecting to the printer now, I will connect later." But if I click on "next" it closes the whole process. When I click on retry, it just gives the big red X!

Right click on My Computer and open Properties. Click on Hardware and Device Manager and see if you have any red or yellow marks listed. If you don't then do the next step.

Install the printer driver for your printer. Then unplug the printer cable from the computer and restart the computer. When it has booted back up and you log on, plug the printer cable back into the computer and see if it detected automatically.

There were no red or yellow marks when I opened hardware. what do you mean ïnstall the printer driver"?
Ok I downloaded that and then clicked on run. Do I plug my laptop into the printer now? As u can see I am not computer savvy at all! :(
After you run it, follow the directions and it will tell you when to plug the printer in.
This is the same as the CD that comes w the printer for set up. My printer is C4750. But this setup process is what I did over and over already :(
Yes but if you install it this way, then there is no way the disc can be a factor of it not installing properly. Also, there may be fixes included in this download that could fix errors with previous versions.
Ugh! I clicked on install when that set up screen came up and then it went away and nothing ever happened! So I pulled up the download again and it's "extracting" again...which took forever the first time it did that! I'm not having much luck! :(

Remember where the files extracting to You want to extract them in a folder where you can find them easily. Most of the time they are extracted into a folder named HP or by default into the Temp folder.

To see the Temp folder, you will need to open up My Computer and click on the Tools tab at the top. Choose Folder Options and then View. Click beside the radio button that says "View Hidden Files and Folders" and uncheck "Hide Protected Operating System Files".

Now navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\your profile folder\Local Settings\Temp

If you can't find them in the Temp folder or a folder called HP, then do the step below.

Right before extracting them, create a folder on the C: drive by right clicking the C: drive and choosing New and then Folder. Name the folder HP. Now extract the printer files into that folder by choosing C:\HP as the path

Once you have extracted the files into the HP folder, open up the folder and see if you see an Install or Setup icon. Double click the icon to install the printer.

Hi, are you there??? when I Looked at "show hidden files", it was already checked. When I tried to click on "hide protected operating files" a window popped up and said..."Required to start and run windows. Deleting or editing can make computer inopeable" So of course I got nervous and didnt do it. Then I called an HP tech support # XXXXX found, and she had me run a computer scan on "i yogi" and it said I had isssues with 3 things...firewall, memory, and system recall (I think thats what it was called) But then she wanted a credit card # XXXXX I coudnt even understand her, so I said no thank u. I am so frustrated, and I have wasted so many hours on this, and I just dont have time to sit here all day again. I am ready to cry! Does this info that I gave you, help you or change anything? Should I check that "hide protected operating files" anyway? I must have my computer working becuz I have online classes. I need help! Thank u!!!!!

It would be easier to download the file again from the link I gave you. Click on Download and a box will come up and ask you if you wish to run, save, or cancel. Choose Save and a window will open and let you choose where you want to save the download, Choose the folder you created earlier and click save. This will save the download inside the folder you created.

Now find the setup file or install file from the download and double click it to start the install of the driver and software. Follow any directions it asks.