Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

ref HP Designjet 800 The printhead carriage seems to be hitting…

Customer Question
ref: HP Designjet 800 The printhead...
ref: HP Designjet 800
The printhead carriage seems to be hitting 3 or 4 objects as it travels along the slide bar. You can hear it banging into something and being jarred instead of running smoothly and quietly. The vibration is obviously also affecting the print quality. The slide bar is smooth but there are several brass pins on the bottom side of the slide bar (mounting pins?) that seem to be protruding somewhat and might possibly be the culprit? Help !!!
Sheldon
Asheville, NC
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/10/2010
Technician: John, Computer Science Engineer replied 8 years ago
John, Computer Science Engineer
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Please check using a flashlight, to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen. If there is nothing obvious, un-plug the printer power supply.

Next, take a dry cloth or Q-tips and clean the rubber rollers in the automatic sheet feeder. Dust may be coating the rollers there and as they become less tacky.

Holding the printer in both hands, turn it upside down and shake it for a few seconds to see if anything falls out of the paper feed area. (Sometimes objects such as pens, paper clips and so on can fall into the paper feed area and cause blockages.)

Then plug the printer back up, take your paper out and replace it with a fresh, small stack (about 5 pages) of paper. Then try to print again.

If no luck, remove all paper from the machine and then blow out the feed roller and paper tray thoroughly with compressed air three or four times.

Once done plug in back in and insert a single sheet of paper.

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Just received your email saying you haven't received my reply --- I sent you a follow up to your first response yesterday, but I'll try again to "Reply to Expert". Your suggestions didn't solve the problem. The Designjet 800 uses 24" roll paper. It can also accept single 24" sheets bit they must be manually loaded --- there is no automatic sheet feeder. The paper path is clean and the paper runs smoothly through the printer. The problem is definitely tied to the print head module as it runs across the guide bar which is smooth and clean. The guide bar appears to be held in place with brass pins --- I think that the print head carriage may for some reason be brushing against those mounting pins instead of sliding past them?

Good morning and thank you for your reply!

I am sorry but I am out of ideas. I will opt out so any other expert can try to help you.

Thank you