Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I bought a slightly used Epson 9600 from the graphics department…

Customer Question
I bought a slightly used...
I bought a slightly used Epson 9600 from the graphics department at Nordstrom's store. They did less than 40 jobs on it and then let it sit for a long time. Producing in-store graphics was more work than originally they thought and went back to out-sourcing.
I purchased new inks and have managed to clean up 3 of the 4 clogged heads (thanks to widex). The last color, magenta, won't budge. I don't think it needs a new head. What I noticed is that there is no ink in the tube just prior to where it clamps to the head. If you turn off the printer and slide the head forward toward the middle you can see where the inks enter the unit. There is about 1 inch of visible tubing and the magenta tube is clean (no ink). So no ink is being sucked through to the head. I think the tube may be the problem.
How do I disengage this tube and clean it out? There is NO service representation here in Seattle from Epson. Hard to believe. I use the printer for fine art.
Thank you,
david.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
6/9/2010
Technician: AnswerManCharles, Technician replied 8 years ago
AnswerManCharles
AnswerManCharles, Technician
Hello this is Charles with Just Answer,

I would try this first:

Print a page solid page of the magenta ink color to see if you can get the ink to flow.

Hope this helps.
Please accept my answer, this is how that I get paid for my work and please leave positive feedback for me. I am available for follow up questions or for further comment if needed.
Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue. Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer. Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
Thank You,
Charles

Hello and thanks Charles,

I already have tried that on several occassions. I created a page with just magenta and one with various colors. All failed to show any hint what-so-ever of magenta. All other colors work great but there still is no color moving through the plastic tube where the magenta enters the print head. Nothing get through this tube (it has specs of ink on the inside that don't move) Are you familiar with the 9600?

Thanks, david
I forgot to mention that I tried a little Windex where the new magenta cartridge touches the printer tube (sorry, I don't know the name of the parts). I can't tell if there is ink in the main part of the magenta tube. Just can actually see no ink in that 1 inch strip right before it clamps to the head.

thanks, david
Do you have a service manual? Is the Magenta ink cartrdige full? There is a valve on the cartrdge, make sure that valve is opening. There is a spring loaded plunger on the machine that has to push the valve open when you install the ink cartridge, it is possible than an old cartridge valve may be stuck.

Edited by charles_ebs on 6/10/2010 at 1:29 AM EST
Hello Charles,

As I mentioned I put a complete new set of cartridges in the printer. I don't know about the cartridge valve opening? I inserted it like all the other colors. I don't know about a spring loaded plunger on the machine or where it is. I think I have downloaded a service manual. I will try to figure out what you suggest tomorrow. It's late now.

Thank you,

david.
The plunger on the the valve where you insert the ink cartridge and the hose are the only items between the pump. There is only one pump motor for all ink cartridges. You must have a blockage, a defective magenta cartridge or possibly if the magenta print head is totally blocked the air just can move out so the ink can move into the hose.
I just remembered that I took my stainless steel turkey baster with a little Windex and pushed on that spring mechanism you mentioned. So the spring mechanism felt like all the other valves. By the way the turkey baster opening is exactly the size of the valve. Anyway, since there is new ink and as far as I can tell the ink is in the tube except for the end section right before it clamps on to the head (that part is empty), then; A. either the tube has a giant plug and the ink won't move along. Or, B. the print head is soooo blocked that the pump can not suck the ink along. Is that what you are suggesting?

So what would you suggest to do for A. or B. As I mentioned there is no official Epson Service person to work on out of warranty wide format printers here in Seattle (unbelievable) and I have unsuccessfully tried an internet search for help.

Thank you,

david.
I believe I would try and work on the magenta jets of the print head.