Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

My Canon MX310 All-in-One does not print when I send files

Customer Question
to it, so I attempted...
My Canon MX310 All-in-One does not print when I send files to it, so I attempted to print a test page and all that from Control Panel and all that prints is the Microsoft Icon (flag), what should I do. The fax reports are also blank, I guess because it's not printing text???
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Printers
6/6/2010
Technician: Northwest Andrew, Technician replied 7 years ago
Northwest Andrew
Northwest Andrew, Technician

The flag icon on the Windows test print page is colored and this indicates that the unit is printing (at least some) color. There should also be black text on the page but since you don't see it and you are likely having problems printing text then the most likely cause is an empty black ink tank. Another way you can tell is that the printer will "print" blank pages when you send a print job.

Replace the Canon PG-40 ink tank You may also need a canon PG-50 ink tank for this unit but replace the PG-40 first, particularly if you print a lot of black text on the unit.

The printer may also issue low ink warnings on the screen and/or the tanks sometimes have a low ink warning lights to indicate this. But these warning are not always completely accurate.

If this does not solve your problem then please reply. There are a few other less likely possibilities.

I appreciate the opportunity to serve you. If you have found this information helpful then please click the "accept" button. Consider leaving feedback as well to insure our experts are providing quality information to our customers.

Thanks but I just changed the colour and black ink supplies this past Tuesday.

OK. Note that this unit has TWO black ink tanks. One or the other may need to be changed. If you have changed the PG-50 ink tank then it may not have been the correct one. Additional research also indicates that BOTH these cartridges may need to have ink for acceptable printing. Insure that both the PG-50 and the PG-40 have ink. Here are the other steps you can try is this does not work:

Clean the print heads on the unit. They be clogged with ink. Follow the instructions in page 62 of the user guide for instructions on how to perform print head cleaning:

Canon Pixma MP310 User Guide

Attempt a test page. If this does not work then attempt a deep printhead cleaning. Follow the instructions on page 63:

Canon Pixma MP310 User Guide

If you STILL are not getting printing with the unit then one or more of the cartridges may be defective and should be exchanged for new ones.

Northwest Andrew,

Thanks again but be advised that the printer in question is a PIXMA MX310 series not MP.

Thanks

Robb

That was my mistake. Rest assured that everything I've been reviewing is specific to the MX310 and NOT the MP310, that was a simple typing mistake. The manual links are also for the MX310.

Thanks again I'll try cleaning and then a deep cleaning in the morning. It's 1:35 AM EST and I'm tired I've been working on this since 10:30 PM.

I even tried reloading the drivers between our e-mails, but I can't find anything printer related (icon) in Device Manager when I go down the list even though it looks like they're installed when I look in Control Panel under Add/Remove programs.

Again thanks for your assistance.

Robb

That's OK, you can respond tomorrow if need be.

If you are using a parallel cable rather than USB (unlikely) then you might not see the printer in device manager. Sometimes it's listed under "other devices" but it SHOULD be there especially if it's USB.

The fact that it's printing the color flag logo means that it IS working at least to some extent. It's VERY unusual to get ANY printing (other than perhaps "garbage" but NEVER graphics) if you are having a driver problem or other configuration issue.

Thanks for you patience!

Correct it is a USB connection, not parallel cable.

Sure thing thanks for your help.

It may also be of value I did scan a flyer yesterday and the scanned copy seemed very faded in comparison. Not sure that adds any value???

I just downloaded the manual you sent, I'll also peruse through it tomorrow if I have not heard back. I'm trying to fix my Mom's printer, and couldn't find the original. My father took care of all that stuff and he passed away so she's pretty computer illiterate.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Robb

Actually that DOES make since. If the copy (the BLACK in particular) seems faded then the the "fine black" (BC-50) sounds OK. You may just have a defective BC-40 cartridge.
Northwest Andrew
Northwest Andrew, Technician
Northwest Andrew
Northwest Andrew
Northwest Andrew, Technician