Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

I have an "Hp officejet J3508 all in one" ....It had been working…

Customer Question
I have an "Hp officejet...
I have an "Hp officejet J3508 all in one" ....It had been working well andthen the red light started flashing next to the "on" button... the message on the screen says :"Cartridge Error... refer to a device document to troubl shoot" I have looked every where, and changed the printing cartridge, but no help... I don't know what to do next.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
4/1/2010
Technician: Andy, Elec & Comp pro replied 8 years ago
Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Hi

- How and when did this problem begun. Was there a paper jam or did you replace the ink cartridge.

- When did you buy this printer and since when are you facing this issue. How often do you use printer.

- Does your cartridge has a nozzle on it like this (sample pic) :

graphic

I printed a document, and it took a long time to print, but it did print. and when I went to print another document the light came on and the message appeared.

I bought a new ink cartridge and installed it, but no help...

I bought the printer abot 6 months ago in the Philippines. It was shipped here when I moved back to California. It hadn't been used for about 2 months... after I got it here about a week ago it worked fine until yesterday when the problem occured.

The cartridge looks just like the one you show.

Hi

This Error signifies that the printer is not able to recognize a compatible cartridge.

This can happen because of two reasons :
1. Your cartridges are bad.
2. Your printer's cartridge sensor has gone bad.

Please remove all cartridges. Using a moist cloth clean the golden contacts on cartridge as well as printer. DO NOT touch nozzle of cartridge. Dont insert the cartridge yet.

Please do this :
1. Remove the power cable from printer. Remove the USB cable that connects printer to computer (remove it from printer as well as computer's usb port)
2. Press the printer power button and keep pressed for 3 minutes then release
3. Now plug in the power cable and usb cable (connect printer to computer) and power on the printer.

Now insert cartridges and see if error goes away.

If not, then you will have to buy new genuine cartridge to confirm if its a printer issue or not.

Your best option is to buy genuine cartridge from a store where they take back open cartridges if they are defective. That way you can return them and save your money.

If error persists with new cartridge than contact HP to get free repair or replacement as your printer has a 1 year warranty. Else it would be cheaper to buy a new printer.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

nothing has changed... I have bought a new cartridge and so that isn't the problem... you are suggesting that I exercize my warrantee cottect ?

The cartridge sensors are present inside the printer and they are malfunctioning. Only HP can replace them and so you need to use your warranty as it will be free

Andy, Elec & Comp pro