Printers

Printer repair questions? Ask IT technicians for answers ASAP

Hi, I get a message on the printer (MP510) screen saying…

Customer Question
Hi, I get a message on...
I get a message on the printer (MP510) screen saying " The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head".

I have not meddled with the print head, or any other part of the printer, at all.

I have correctly replaced all the ink catridges with the the ones recommended in the manual.

Grateful for your assistance.
John.
Brisbane, Australia
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
3/27/2010
Technician: Andy, Elec & Comp pro replied 8 years ago
Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Hi

Please remove all cartridges. Using a moist cloth clean the golden contacts on cartridge as well as printer. Use a moist cloth to clean the nozzle of cartridge. Dont insert the cartridge yet.

Please do this :
1. Remove the power cable from printer. Remove the USB cable that connects printer to computer (remove it from printer as well as computer's usb port)
2. Press the printer power button and keep pressed for 3 minutes then release
3. Now plug in the power cable and usb cable (connect printer to computer) and power on the printer.

Then plug in the cartridges.

Now see if its working fine. Let me know.

If this helped, please click "ACCEPT".

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Thanks, Andy.

I did exactly as you said in your e-mail; but the same error message come back.

Regards.

From the symptoms you are getting, its quite evident that the print heads are malfunctioning.

Now "only" if printer is not in warranty, clean the print heads with some alcohol solvent or medical spirit. DO NOT use any water based solvent. You may soak the heads in solvent but not for too long.

If the printer is in warranty then you should get it repaired by Canon for free. If not, you will have to buy new print heads from Canon.

To be very honest, these print heads are made of poor quality so that you need to replace them and Canon can make money. Thats why they sell cartridges at cheaper cost.

Please dont even think of sending it for repair to Canon if its out of warranty or anyone as again that will make hole in your pocket. Cheapest option is to buy new printer.

Canon Customer Support Center
Hours: Monday-Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET, excluding holidays
Phone: 1-800-OK-CANON (toll free)
1-800-652-2666
TTD: 1-866-251-3752 (toll free)
Email: [email protected]

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Andy.

Looks like I will have to throw the printer away, becasaue it is out of warranty.

Before I throw it away, I would like to try your suggestion of cleaning the print-head. I am not a mechanical/technical person, and am not sure how to access the print head - or what it looks like.

Appreciate if you could please point me in the right direction.

Thanks and kind regards.

Here are the instructions :

1. Confirm that the printer is powered on and open the paper output tray.

2. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)

Note: When the scanning unit (printer cover) is opened more than ten minutes, the print head moves to the right side. If this occurs, close the scanning unit (printer cover), and open it again.

3. Open the inner cover.

4. Remove the ink tanks by pressing the tab of each tank.

Caution: Handle the ink tanks with care so that your clothes and surrounding area do not get soiled. Make sure to remove the ink tanks one by one.

5. Raise the print head lock lever.

6. Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.

Caution: Do not touch the print head nozzles <1> , electrical contacts <2>, or ink supply ports <3>. Doing so may cause printing problems.

7. Place the print head in the print head holder and lower the print head lock lever carefully until you hear a click.

8. Insert ink tanks into the print head.

Note : Press the mark on the ink tank firmly until you hear a click.

9. Ensure that all the ink tanks are installed properly and the ink tank lamps light red.

<1> The ink tanks are installed properly.
    <2> The ink tanks are not installed properly.

10. Close the inner cover and the scanning unit (printer cover).

[source:canon]

Thanks for you help, Andy.

I did all what you said, the instructions could not have been clearer.

The situation did not change. We have decided that it is time for a new printer.

Kind regards, XXXXX XXXXX uo the good work.

If that didnt work out then the print heads needs to be replaced.

Andy, Elec & Comp pro
Andy, Elec & Comp pro