Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

I have an HP Design Jet 500 printer. It says System Error

Customer Question
I have an HP Design...
I have an HP Design Jet 500 printer. It says System Error 21:10 Call HP Support.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Printers
1/15/2010
Technician: Freddy M., Technician replied 8 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician

System error 21:10 is generated when the printer has detected a fault in the Service Station. Causes of this error can include the Service Station or Carriage. Follow the steps listed below to accurately troubleshoot the issue, and replace the appropriate parts.

Part Description

Designjet 500 Models - C7769B, C7770B, C7769C, C7770C

Designjet 800 Models - C7779B, C7780B, C7779C, C7780C

Service Station Assembly (Required)

C7769-60374

C7769-60374

Troubleshooting steps

If any of the troubleshooting steps listed below solve the problem, attempt to verify printer functionality (instructions listed below). If functionality is verified, no additional parts should be replaced.

1. Highlight the Set-Up menu and press the ENTER button.
    2. Press the UP arrow and ENTER buttons simultaneously and press the ENTER button.
    3. Highlight Service Utilities and press the ENTER button.
    4. Highlight Unlock Carriage and press the ENTER button.
    5. Unplug the power cord from the printer.
  1. Turn the printer off, then on to verify error. If no error attempt to verify functionality.
  2. If the error appears or problems persist, continue with the remaining steps.
  3. Follow the steps directly below to unlock the Carriage from the Service Station:
  4. Manually move the Carriage assembly out from the Service Station area and check for obstructions (remove as needed).

NOTE: If you are unable to release the Carriage by the previous process, remove the right end-cover and locate the main Service station gear (as pictured below in Figure 1) and rotate it counter clockwise approximately four revolutions. The Carriage assembly should now be free from the Service station.

Figure 1: Service Station Gear
C7769-60374 C7769-60149 DesignJet 500 800 Service Station Assembly

1. If an obstruction is found and removed, plug the power cord in, turn the printer On and attempt to verify functionality.
  2. If no obstruction was found or the problem persists, continue with the remaining steps.
  3. Disconnect the power cord from the printer.
  4. Remove the right end-cover from the printer.
  5. Open the top cover and manually move the Carriage to the left so that it is not over the Service Station (refer to Step 3 for instructions).
  6. The Service Station flag should be at about a 45-degree angle as pictured below in Figure 2.

Figure 2: Service Station flag correctly positioned

1. If the flag is correctly positioned continue with Step 16.
  2. If the flag is not at a 45-degree angle, press in gently on the bottom of the gray and rotate the bottom of the flag to the right (toward the back of the printer) until the top of the flag clips into the tab on the Service Station. The flag should stay at about a 45-degree angle.
  3. Plug in the power cord and turn the printer on.
  4. If no error appears, attempt to verify functionality.
  5. If the error reappears continue with the remaining steps.
  6. Turn the printer off and disconnect the power cord.
  7. Replace the Service Station assembly (refer to pg. 8-52 of the HP Designjet 500 and 800 Series Service Manual).

NOTE: The printer firmware must be upgraded to A.02.04 or higher for the new Service Station to work. The new Service Station does not have an Aerosol fan and older firmware will check for the Aerosol fan, thus causing another system error.

1. Following replacement, turn the printer on and verify functionality as instructed below.

Verifying printer functionality

1. Turn the printer on.
  2. Allow initialization to complete.
  3. Load media into the printer.
  4. From the main front-panel menu, select the Ink menu and press ENTER.
  5. Select Troubleshooting and press ENTER.
  6. Follow the instructions on the Front panel.
  7. Following a successful troubleshooting print, functionality is verified.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click “Accept”.

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back are appreciated

Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician

When I press the menu button, this is the message I get

Severe error: 0x3010002

task: tmech

file: sequence.c

line: 758

That error actually means the same things. However since you are getting both it means the service station assy needs to be replaced. You can get a new one here: Service Station
Freddy M.
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician