Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

my brother printer HL-2040s paper light is blinking, its

Customer Question
my brother printer HL-2040's paper...
my brother printer HL-2040's paper light is blinking, it's not out of paper, no jam, i've turned it off. Can you tell me something to try?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Printers
Answered in 1 day by:
1/13/2010
Technician: John, Computer Science Engineer replied 7 years ago
John, Computer Science Engineer

If the paper light is flashing (not steady) please follow the steps bellow:

The Paper LED flashing can be caused by no paper in the manual feed slot, a paper jam, the front cover is open, the back cover is open, dust on the drum, a memory full error, a print overrun error or not having a drum installed.

Note: Be sure that a toner AND drum assembly is installed in the machinebefore continuing. A machine may exhibit a jam message if a drum or toner isn't installed or isn't installed properly. The drum is a separate part from the toner cartridge and the two parts fit together tomake the drum and toner assembly. The problem may also happen from using non-Brother supplies.

To clear the Paper LED flashing, follow the steps listed below:

Brother strongly recommends that customers use only genuine Brother drumunits and/or toner cartridges. Each Brother laser printer is designed to work at pre-set temperatures that are matched exactly to each of our individual toner formulations. Each individual component is designed to work with the other to ensure quality and reliability. Using non-Brother supplies may affect the hardware performance, print qualityand machine reliability. The Brother limited warranty does not apply to any problem that is caused by the use of third party drum units, toner cartridges or toner.

Warning: If you just used the machine some parts inside the machine are extremely hot.

1. If the paper source setting of the program you are printing from or the Brother printer driver is set to Manual feed, the Paper LED will flash prompting you to load a sheet of paper, an envelope, or a label inthe manual feed slot of the printer. It can also be caused if the document you are trying to print was created as a letter, mailing, or label.

2. Using both hands, slide the manual feed slot paper guides on the front of the printer to the width of the paper that you are going to use.

3. Using both hands, put one piece of paper in the manual feed slot until the front edge of the paper touches the paper feed roller. When you feel the printer pull in the paper, let go and the printer will print the document. If the Paper LED continues to flash and the printer does not pull in the paper, this issue was not caused by a manual feed command, continue with trouble shooting.

4. Open the front cover by pulling the tabs on the left and right side of the printer towards you.

5. Remove the drum/toner assembly by lifting it up slightly at the center and pulling it out to the front. Place the drum/toner assembly ona piece of disposable paper or cloth to avoid spilling and scattering the toner.

6. Clean the primary corona wire inside the drum unit by gently sliding the blue tab on the top from right to left and left to right several times. Return the blue tab and snap it into the home position. If you don't, printed pages may have a vertical stripe.

7. Remove the toner cartridge from the drum unit holding down the lock lever (purple tab) on the left side of the drum unit and lift the toner cartridge out.

*Handle the toner cartridge carefully. If toner scatters on your and or clothes, immediately wipe it off wash it with cold water.

8. If there is paper in the drum unit, gently remove it.

9. Examine the inside of the printer where the drum was installed. If there is paper inside the printer carefully remove it.

10. Reset the toner cartridge into the drum unit (be sure it clicks into place).

11. Reinstall the drum/toner assembly into the printer.

12. Close the front cover. If the Paper LED is still flashing, continue with trouble shooting.

13. Turn the Brother printer around with the back of the printer facing you.

14. If the back cover is open, close it securely. If the Paper LED is still flashing, continue with trouble shooting.

15. Open the back cover.

16. Open the black plastic inner chute by pressing on the release tab located on the right side of the chute.

Note: The inner chute has a diagram on it of a piece of paper being removed from the printer.

17. If there is paper inside the printer carefully remove it.

NOTE: If paper is wrapped around the orange roller do not try and removeit. The printer has a one year limited exchange warranty. If the printeris in warranty, call Brother Customer Service at 1-877-BROTHER (1-877-276-8437) for warranty options. If the printer is out of warranty, contact a Brother Authorized Service Center for repair by clicking on the link below:

http://www.brother-usa.com/service/default.aspx

18. Close the back cover. If the Paper LED is still flashing, continue with trouble shooting.

NOTE: The inner chute will close automatically when the back door is closed.

19. Pull the paper tray completely out of the printer.

20. If there is paper jammed in the paper tray or underneath the printer, gently remove it.

21. Reload the paper in the paper tray. The tray can hold up to 250 sheets of 20 lb paper. Do not over fill the tray. There is a maximum paper mark located on the top of the right and left paper guide. It looks like a V cut out in the plastic.

NOTE: If you are using special paper and the machine has problems feeding it from the paper tray, try loading the paper in the manual feed slot.

22. Put the paper tray firmly back into the printer. If the Paper LED isstill flashing, continue with trouble shooting.

23. To troubleshoot a Memory Full error, press the Go button on the printer to print the data remaining in the printer. Cancel the print jobif you want to delete the data remaining in the printer by pressing theGo button for about 4 seconds until all the LEDs light up. The Ready and Paper LEDs will flash as the job is being cancelled. If this does not clear the error, reduce the print resolution in the Brother printer driver or reduce the complexity of your document. If the Paper LED is still flashing, continue with trouble shooting.

24. To troubleshoot a Print Overrun error, set the page protection in the Brother printer driver to AUTO. Change the following settings in theprinter driver and try again. The best combination of these settings will vary depending on your document:

Graphics mode

TrueType mode

Use Printer TrueType Fonts

Please let me know if it is working now

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
* * * Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort. * * *
Any bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

John, Computer Science Engineer
John, Computer Science Engineer