Printers

Printer Repair Questions? Ask IT Technicians for Answers ASAP

Printers

The DVD tray in my Photosmart C5280 will not feed into the

unit properly and comes out...
The DVD tray in my Photosmart C5280 will not feed into the unit properly and comes out blank.
I have tried re-installing the software, no result.
Answered in 1 day by:
11/30/2009
Carl Poersch
Carl Poersch, Engineer

Try going over the basics again as in these steps.

Thanks

Carl

This document explains how to print directly onto a CD or DVD.
Printing directly onto a CD or DVD using HP software
Follow these steps to insert a CD or DVD into the product and create and print a label onto the CD or DVD.
Step one: Load the CD or DVD into the All-in-One
  1. Move the product at least 7.5 cm (3 inches) away from the wall.
    NOTE: While printing on the disc, the CD/DVD holder protrudes about 7.5 cm (3 inches) at the back of the product.
  2. Pull the CD/DVD tab ( ) to remove the CD/DVD holder from the storage area below the main tray.
    Figure 1: Remove the CD/DVD holder
  3. Place the CD or DVD print-side up on the ring on the CD/DVD holder, and then snap it into place.
    Figure 2: CD/DVD holder
    NOTE: If you are using a small disc, snap it into place on the holder, and then flip the CD/DVD holder ring over the disc.
    Figure 3: Flip the CD/DVD holder ring
  4. Lower the CD/DVD tray.
    NOTE: The CD/DVD tray is below the control panel. In its lowered position, the CD/DVD tray sits on top of the output tray.
    Figure 4: Lower the CD/DVD tray
  5. Push the CD/DVD holder into position in the CD/DVD tray until the lines on the holder match up with the lines on the CD/DVD tray.
    Figure 5: Insert the CD/DVD holder into the tray
Step two: Create a label and print it on the CD or DVD
  1. Open HP Photosmart Essential 3.0.
    • Windows XP: On the Windows taskbar, click Start , point to All Programs , point to HP , point to HP Photosmart Essential , and then click HP Photosmart Essential 3.0 .
    • Windows Vista: On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click HP , click HP Photosmart Essential , and then click HP Photosmart Essential 3.0 .
  2. Click Create , and then click Disc Labels .
  3. Follow the on-screen instructions to create a label.
  4. Click Print to print the label on the CD or DVD.
I've tried the step by step again , same result. I get an error message on the printer LCD:
Cannot print because CD/DVD tray is open. Close to continue. I close and of course I get a print out on paper.
Then when I flip open the tray, the LCD goes thru a diagramatic loading process. At the end it says to replay or press ok. Nothing happens when I press ok. If I cancell the print job it pushes out the tray approx. 3 inches.

I thought I'd try a driver update and in the process I get a a notice that an update is available ( I was using Photosmart Essentials 2.01) I'm now upgraded to 3.5.

I open up the new program, click on Create.... get a number of choices, but none called Disc Labels. So I'm searching for that action. Can you help?
Apparently this is a known ongoing problem with no clear solution, but a bunch of different things that worked for different people.

here is the link to the whole thing.

http://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1259620463391+28353475&threadId=1190652

Here are the solutions that started working for people below

Best of luck--

Carl

Feb 16, 2008 12:03:29 GMT Unassigned

"DVD tray open, close DVD tray to continue"

1- remove ROXIO SW
2- reinstall ROXIO SW
3- to invoke SW drop CD tray on printer, this causes SW to open. This appears the only way that SW will work. Don't invoke SW from start > ROXIO
4- You can only do a very simple CD label with the options on the two ROXIO menues. You cannot import a JPG as the label.
5- put in CD so lines are lined with printer detent.
6- hit print options be sure CD/DVD is selected, then print.

The tech took control of my PC and it took two hrs but got it to work.
Todd Sherer
Mar 4, 2008 17:19:18 GMT Unassigned

Here's the scoop:

HP technical support has no experience or idea how to solve this problem. The HP printers are not supported by the Roxio Easy Media Creator version 10. Roxio ONLY supports Epson printers and does not support any of the HP or Canon printers that are capable of printing on CDs/DVDs.

Currently the only way you can print to CDs/DVDs is by using the very limited capability software that comes with the HP printer. The very limited capability software that comes with the printer was hacked by a third party company and Roxio doesn't support it.

I asked the Roxio technical support manager if they were planning on releasing an upgrade to Easy Media Creator v10 and he said if it was fixed, it would possibly be fixed in the next full release (i.e., version 11).It appears that Nero has some support for printing on CDs/DVDs, but I never actually tested whether it worked with the HP.
bruce semanchik
Mar 4, 2008 17:46:35 GMT Unassigned

Ok I have posted a few times, HP has lost their shirt on this printer, it is their own fault-- I have gotten three printers from HP that appeared to not work. I kept my original and finally have a solution

I AM VERY HAPPY NOW !!!!

Go into the xhitty SW that HP provides... SURETHING (the most basic version that exists on the planet, it does work but it is wortheless.).

Buy the UPGRADE on line download for 12$. I is a great package and FIXES THE PRINTING TO CD/DVD --- yes I'm shooting. I have had -0- problems since the upgrade the printing is now "turn-key"
Freddie Waters
May 26, 2008 14:36:31 GMT Unassigned

I have found another solution to add to the ones above :). I had made many successful CD & DVD prints on previous occasions before one day it said 'close the CD/DVD tray'. I tried a few times with numerous programmes and still the same problem. I searched on here and found the solution of opening the picture in windows photo gallery didn't work because it doesnt have the option to print 'CD/DVD' paper size . I also couldn't find an upgrade to buy. I then realised that earlier in the day I had randomly decided to set the HP C5280 as the default printer on the computer. I set 'windows XPS document writer as the default printer again and low and behold the HP will print DVDs again! Very bizarre I know but it worked for me :)
Larry Kelley
May 26, 2008 15:27:35 GMT Unassigned

Hey guys, I had this same problem. What I did to fix it is this:
Go to http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=3204462&prodNameId=3204463&swEnvOID=2093&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=oj-52127-2 and download the Roxio Express Labeler.
Install it.
Have no burning software open. No Nero, CloneDVD, Roxio, anything.
Pull down the CD/DVD Tray and wait while the Roxio Express Labeler opens.
Use it to create the CD cover you want.
It is real basic, but it works.
ALLEN SHIBUYA
Aug 2, 2008 21:07:28 GMT Unassigned

What worked for me is Bruce's procedure posted on 2/16/08 12:03.

To reiterate:
1. Uninstall Roxio Express Labeler 3.2
2. Turn on printer. It should already be connected to your computer.
3. Install Roxio Express Labeler 3.2
4. To make a label, pull down CD/DVD tray. Roxio Express Labeler will automatically open.
5. Click "OPTIONS". Select "Disc Label HP Printabgle CD/DVD Print to Hub"
6. Create your label
7. Insert blank disc and print.
8. Have a cool beer to celebrate after hours/days of frustration.

Thanks Bruce. I was ready toss the printer out of the window. grrr...
Jan Stephens
Aug 14, 2008 22:57:31 GMT Unassigned

I don't get this message but it prints off center on the disc even tho the preview shows up fine. I am going to download from Acoustica and see if that helps....best of luck all
ebonitas
Dec 26, 2008 18:49:33 GMT Unassigned

I have installed "PS_AIO_02_Corporate_Network_DVD" drivers (the light version without the software no one needs). I get the same error when using Acoustica label software.

I got around it very simply: close your labelling software, if it is open. Then go to the printer's properties and select cd/dvd printing from "printing prefs/printing shortcuts". Click OK, now default printer settings are ready for CD. Start your favorite labelling program and enjoy. Don't forget to return settings to default value after you've finished.

C5280 is a good device, but this stupid bug is really annoying. I'm sure that it is very simple, just for some reason selecting "CD/DVD tray" in software doesn't have any influence on printer, it ignores this command and tries to print on plain paper. But it can't, because CD tray is open (duh), so it displays the above mentioned error.
semo old
Jan 18, 2009 09:38:33 GMT Unassigned

Hi everyone, here is one solution, I also got one of these HP C5280, printer
I have try to print on cd/dvd also say the same thing (CANNOT PRINT BEACAUSE CD/DVD TRAY IS OPEN and it say to CLOSE TO CONTINUE) axactly that,,,,,,, what i did is PULL THE CD OUT THEN BUSH THE CD/DVD TRAY BACK TO CLOSE IT then GO BACK TO PHOTO(on the computer) CLICK ON PRINT --on PAPER SIZE- CHOOSE CD/DVD 120mm (that way it will cover the whole cd, if you choose 80mm it will only print in the middle ''so it will suit small disk)anyway also CLICK ON PRINT SIZE, click on CUSTOMIZE, THEN CM, once that done click on print, then click on print again, the computer then will tell you that the TRAY IS CLOSE- OPEN THE TRAY BY PULLING THE TRAY DOWN, INSERT THE CD then PRESS OK ON THE PRINTER, and thats it. you away.. I only found this out by play around with it, hope this help.. and if it does work please please please let me know.

GOOD LUCK....
ebonitas
Jan 27, 2009 16:21:29 GMT Unassigned

In my case the problem was solved by unchecking "Don't set auto paper..." setting in my CD printing software (Acoustica).
Carl Poersch
Carl Poersch, Engineer
Carl Poersch
Carl Poersch
Carl Poersch, Engineer