Pre-Calculus

Have Pre-Calculus Questions? Ask a Pre-Calculus Tutor

Pre-Calculus

Need to find the area of a shape - and then a formula that

will yield the area based...
Need to find the area of a shape - and then a formula that will yield the area based on distance indicated
10/22/2017
Mr. GLENN
Mr. GLENN, Math/Stat Expert

Hi

Thank you for using this site, when is the deadline of this home work? Please reply asap.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well there is no deadline - but I would hope that it’s relatively straight forward and get an answer today

Are those ellipse?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The adjacent structure is a “lens” or an ellipse that meets at a point, yes
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry I have never had to use above option/offer before. Why is this unable to be answered conventionally?

Sometimes the expert also can ask for some increase in the quote, depending on the difficulty of the questions. The initial quote is only an estimate, that is why experts can also use this option.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what you are saying is - unless I accept the offer you cannot provide the answer? Just being clear...

actually the given quote is a little low for the problems.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That may or may not be the case. I’m just after a formula to work out the area of a shape based on value. I could physically count the squares in the sketch for each and work out the relationship - that would take time...So I’m just clarifying with you - are you asking me to accept the “offer” because if I don’t - you won’t answer this for me??

yes

you can not just count the squares, you need to derive the equations of the ellipses, then do some solid mensuration. It is not what you think of.

There is a certain formula for equation of ellipse.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Great! Thanks for being clear.
The area for the lens/ellipse - which is not what I'm asking for...is: Area = (5 * height / 2)^2 * (1.287 - sin(1.287)) = (25/4) * (1.287 - sin(1.287)) * (height)^2
Which is = to ... 2.04375 * (height)^2Please provide a formula to work out the area A and B as highlighted in the diagram

for a while

Mr. GLENN
Mr. GLENN, Math/Stat Expert
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Offer accepted.

im still working on this

.

Hi
I have just posted below my email address. Kindly send these questions to my email, so that I can send the answer files through your email, on your required date and time. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Have you received email?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What's the go? Do we have an answer, or?

Hi

Can you give me at least a few hours (3hrs maybe)

Hi

I have already sent the answer file through your email. (please check your email)

.

If you still need help in your future home works (maths, stat,natural sciences, social sciences, English, essays, researches, etc.), you canrequest me by putting my name at the start of your post/question like "FORMR. GLENN only" (to avoid being lost and delayed) . Please reply asap,if you have received this answer file.
.

(bonus is very much appreciated!!!)

.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you mind posting the formula here too please. Thanks

I will send in your email. I will be off line now (will be back in 2 hrs from now)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is not correct. This would be correct for an ellipse. But there are not ellipse/s. The shape is a lens
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I realise pi x R^2 is the formula for a circle; and pi x w x l would be the area of an ellipse. And if these were ellipse - then this would be correct...you could take one from the other. I gave you the correct formula for a lens provided it has a 3:1 ratio (above) - but I am after the area for the shape's i have highlighted!

I asked you if they are ellipses, and you said yes, please answer accurately so that the solution will also be accurate.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you serious?
My answer was: “The adjacent structure is a “lens” or an ellipse that meets at a point, yes”
How clear is that? I even provided you with a scale diagram as explanation?? If you cannot solve the problem - just say so

Ok I will change the solution

Are the radius given or the arc length (radians or degree measure of the intercepted arc) since the area of a symmetric lens is defined by the radius and the and arc length's angular measure. Please reply

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The lens is symmetric. The ratio of length to width is fixed at 3:1. I’m not the expert but I think that gives 1.287 radians.
But as I keep saying, I’m just interested in finding a formula for the highlighted area for both of those diagrams.

ah ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
any solution?
After thinking about it the new “lens” is a 2:1 structure. So it’s not the best, ***** ***** you could find a formula for a 2:1 lens/ellipse I could subtract the 3:1 ellipse

I sent you a clarification in your email.

I have already derived a correct formula for r, given a and b, and also find the formula for the lens and even counter checked it with the usual formula for the area of the lens and both arrived in EXACTLY the same answers

For the lower drawing:

The inner lens has a = 4.5, b = 1.5 (so r = 7.5)
The outer lens has a = 6, b = 3 (so r = 7.5)

Area of inner lens = 18.39387473924

Area of outer lens = 50.32071202518

Area of shaded region = difference between the two areas = 50.32071202518 - 18.39387473924

= 31.92683728594 sq. units

Mr. GLENN
Mr. GLENN
Mr. GLENN, Math/Stat Expert