Pre-Calculus

Have Pre-Calculus Questions? Ask a Pre-Calculus Tutor

Pre-Calculus

Question 1 Assume that the weight loss first month

Customer Question
Question 1 Assume that the weight...
Question 1
Assume that the weight loss for the first month of a diet program varies between 6 pounds and 12 pounds, and is spread evenly over the range of possibilities, so that there is a uniform distribution. Find the probability of the given range of pounds lost. More than 11 pounds
2/3
1/6
2/3
1/6
5/6
1/7
5/6
1/7
Question 2
If z is a standard normal variable, find the probability. The probability that z lies between 0 and 3.01
0.1217
0.1217
0.9987
0.5013
0.4987
0.9987
0.5013
0.4987
Question 3
Solve the problem. Round to the nearest tenth unless indicated otherwise. In one region, the September energy consumption levels for single-family homes are found to be normally distributed with a mean of 1050 kWh and a standard deviation of 218 kWh. Find , which is the consumption level separating the bottom 45% from the top 55%.
1078.3
1021.7
1148.1
1087.8
1078.3
1021.7
1148.1
1087.8
Question 4
Assume that X has a normal distribution, and find the indicated probability. The mean is 60.0 and the standard deviation is 4.0. Find the probability that X is less than 53.0.
0.0802
0.5589
0.0802
0.5589
0.9599
0.0401
0.9599
0.0401
Question 5
Solve the problem. The amount of snowfall falling in a certain mountain range is normally distributed with a mean of 94 inches, and a standard deviation of 14 inches. What is the probability that the mean annual snowfall during 49 randomly picked years will exceed 96.8 inches?
0.0808
0.0026
0.0808
0.0026
0.4192
0.5808
0.4192
0.5808
Question 6
Estimate the indicated probability by using the normal distribution as an approximation to the binomial distribution. With n = 18 and p = 0.30, estimate P(6).
0.1015
0.8513
0.1958
0.1239
0.1015
0.8513
0.1958
0.1239
Question 7
Use the normal distribution to approximate the desired probability. A coin is tossed 20 times. A person, who claims to have extrasensory perception, is asked to predict the outcome of each flip in advance. She predicts correctly on 14 tosses. What is the probability of being correct 14 or more times by guessing? Does this probability seem to verify her claim?
0.4418, no
0.0582, no
0.4418, yes
0.0582, yes
Question 8
Solve the problem. The following confidence interval is obtained for a population proportion, p: 0.689 < p < 0.723. Use these confidence interval limits to find the margin of error, E.
0.017
0.706
0.017
0.706
0.018
0.034
.018
0.034
Question 9
Assume that a sample is used to estimate a population proportion p. Find the margin of error E that corresponds to the given statistics and confidence level. Round the margin of error to four decimal places. 95% confidence; n = 320, x = 60
0.0449
0.0514
0.0449
0.0514
0.0428
0.0385
0.0428
0.0385
Question 10
Use the given degree of confidence and sample data to construct a confidence interval for the population proportion p. n = 51, x = 27; 95% confidence
0.414 < p < 0.644
0.392 < p < 0.666
0.391 < p < 0.667
0.413 < p < 0.645
Question 11
Use the given data to find the minimum sample size required to estimate the population proportion. Margin of error: 0.004; confidence level: 95%; unknown
60,148
60,018
60,025
50,024
60,148
60,018
60,025
50,024
Question 12
Solve the problem. Round the point estimate to the nearest thousandth. Find the point estimate of the proportion of people who wear hearing aids if, in a random sample of 304 people, 20 people had hearing aids.
0.063
0.063
0.066
0.934
0.062
Question 13
Use the given degree of confidence and sample data to construct a confidence interval for the population proportion p. A survey of 865 voters in one state reveals that 408 favor approval of an issue before the legislature. Construct the 95% confidence interval for the true proportion of all voters in the state who favor approval.
0.471 < p < 0.472
0.435 < p < 0.508
0.438 < p < 0.505
0.444 < p < 0.500
Question 14
Solve the problem. A newspaper article about the results of a poll states: "In theory, the results of such a poll, in 99 cases out of 100 should differ by no more than 5 percentage points in either direction from what would have been obtained by interviewing all voters in the United States." Find the sample size suggested by this statement.
544
544
664
27
385
664
27
385
Question 15
Use the confidence level and sample data to find the margin of error E. Round your answer to the same number of decimal places as the sample mean unless otherwise noted. Weights of eggs: 95% confidence n = 53,
0.36 oz
0.13 oz
0.02 oz
0.16 oz
Question 16
Use the confidence level and sample data to find a confidence interval for estimating the population mu. Round your answer to the same number of decimal places as the sample mean. Test scores: n = 92, mean = 90.6, sigma = 8.9; 99% confidence
88.4 < mu < 92.8
88.8 < mu < 92.4
88.2 < mu < 93.0
89.1 < mu < 92.1
Question 17
Use the given information to find the minimum sample size required to estimate an unknown population mean mu. Margin of error: $120, confidence level: 95%, sigma = $593
133
133
94
83
66
94
83
66
Question 18
Assume that a sample is used to estimate a population mean mu. Use the given confidence level and sample data to find the margin of error. Assume that the sample is a simple random sample and the population has a normal distribution. Round your answer to one more decimal place than the sample standard deviation. 95% confidence; n = 91; x-bar = 16, s = 9.1
1.71
4.10
1.71
4.10
1.63
1.90
1.63
1.90
Question 19
Use the given degree of confidence and sample data to construct a confidence interval for the population mean mu. Assume that the population has a normal distribution. A laboratory tested twelve chicken eggs and found that the mean amount of cholesterol was 225 milligrams with s = 15.7 milligrams. Construct a 95% confidence interval for the true mean cholesterol content of all such eggs.
215.0 mg < mu < 235.0 mg
216.9 mg < mu < 233.1 mg
214.9 mg < mu < 235.1 mg
215.1 mg < mu < 234.9 mg
Question 20
Solve the problem. Find the critical value corresponding to a sample size of 3 and a confidence level of 95 percent.
7.378
5.991
0.103
0.0506
7.378
5.991
0.103
0.0506
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pre-Calculus
6/20/2015
Tutor: Ryan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Thank you for using the site, and thank you for requesting me. I'll have the solutions posted for you as soon as possible. Please let me know if there is a specific deadline to meet.
Thanks,
Ryan
Thank you, ***** ***** answer within 30 minutes thank you
Hi ,
I need the answers please
I'm sorry. I'm having some computer issues and don't have them ready yet.
Ryan
No problem, I wait. Thank you

I'm just about done.

Ryan

I'm very sorry about the delay. Thank you for your patience.

Here are the solutions:

Solutions

Please note that problem #15 appears to be missing some information, and that none of the answer choices given for #20 are correct. If you can get any clarification concerning either of these problems, I'll be happy to revisit them.

Thanks,

Ryan
Ryan
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer