abray1115
abray1115,
13781349

My ankle hurts as if it is injured, when going from an

My ankle hurts as if it is injured, when going from an elevated position to standing (like in the am), it hurts.
I went to the ER today, as I recently had superficial phlebitis, I wanted another sonogram to verify it was not a DVT. The results showed I had zero clotting, but they really didn't address the ankle pain. I'm sure it's probably something I did while dealing with the superficial issue, but I don't know the best treatment for this unusual thing.

Hello!

How long has the ankle been hurting?

Any swelling?

Do you think you may have sprained your ankle? ( most common is the lateral aspect of ankle and you may have swelling of lateral prominence area ...)

It hurts to stand and hear weight ??

Steps that may help -- anti-inflammatory such as Aleve 2 tablets twice a day with food // keep it elevated to extent possible // may benefit from applying cold pack 15 minutes several times a day if recent onset // light compression such as ACE wrap may help comfort and support

It is good that you had negative ultrasound -- location of pain does not sound like DVT either though

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It most hurts to put weight on it in morning. After I'm on it awhile, I can handle it. The swelling is minor, I'm just curious if the pain in the AM is normal for a sprain etc
It's been happening about 3 days and I don't recall doing anything to it, other than maybe twisting it

Hello again,

Yes it is common that an ankle injury or sprain may hurt worse first AM -- often such injuries feel worse until you " warm up" a bit with some activity ...increased stiffness and initial pain tends to be a bit worse after a prolonged rest and starting activity ...

It does more sound to me as a sprain of ankle from your history so far ...

Sometimes a mild mis-step and quick twist or inversion of foot and ankle may cause it ...

Sometimes a mild sprain may have little pain discomfort at the time and worse the next day ...

I hope that this is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or discussion

Best regards!

Anthony Bray MD