Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I had the same experience as above except not so lucky..

Customer Question
2008 997tt with 35k miles....
I had the same experience as above except not so lucky.. 2008 997tt with 35k miles.. overfilled 7 to 8 qts drove around 2 miles pouring whit smoke returned to shop and they realized mistake only drained the qt from turbos.. they drained and refilled with correct amount of oil.. car was ok for about 3 or east miles then out of know where at about 45mph hugh thud and shudder.. shifted to neutral turned off restarted and was fine.. drive another 15 to 20 miles and then the shudder returned at idle with a new knock possibly 2.. insurance company is denying the claim saying there expert found pre existing oil leak on the right side of engine.. want me to pay 13k to tear down.. my prob is they are already looking for an out if I get 13k in a useless motor I'm fd.. any advice as to where to go or what's wrong my local dealer is trash and I'm prob sending to champion in south fl.. thanks in advance
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Porsche
5/30/2018
Porsche Mechanic: Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech. replied 23 days ago
Kalamykid
Kalamykid, Shop owner/ Tech.

Who did the oil change?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Place called desalvo tire.. I own a small car lot and they had done a bunch of work manager assured me they could do it no less than 4 times.. I had to show the mechanic how he fd IP and how to pull the correct plug with a YouTube video

And they had to drain engine oil out of the turbo correct?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Both times yes but the 1st time that's all they drained so 6 to 8 qts overfill

What warranty company are you trying to go through, yours or theirs?

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Thiers zurich.. I dont have one the car is out of warranty this is thier garage liability

The first thing I would do would be to check the turbo. If any of the fan blades have broken off you need to find out where hey went. Now here is the hard part, but the warranty company should have known this. For oil to get into the turbo, it has to come from past the piston rings, or the seals in the turbo if it is oil cooled. When the engine was over filled with oil, way to much oil would have been pushed past the rings, and caused damage to the engine. To over fill an engine with 6-8 quarts of oil, there is no way that damage would not happen no matter what engine it was done to.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
I agree but what else outside of the overfill would cause this or give them an out in this situation.. what are you qualifications as an expert and have you ever dealt with a 911 overfill

I am a master tech, and work on all kinds of cars. I have not had an over fill in my shop on a 911, but I have seen it in many cars and trucks. All cars and trucks work off of the same principles so the same thing that happened to your car would be the same thing that would happen to a Yugo. I have had to deal with insurance companies any times for this same problem, and they all try to get out of paying a big bill. Hold your ground, and do not let them push you around. In the worst case,m you may have to take them to court, but you will win if you do.

Here is a small list of things that can happen when you over fill an engine.

1. To much oil can build up on the top of the piston and it can cause a liquid lock that bends rods or cracks a piston,

2. To much oil can build up on the top of the piston and liquid lock it and make it jump time.

3. The extra oil can end up in the turbo and brake the fan blades off and send them up and into the intake through the throttle body and hang a valve open, or break a piston.

4. I have even seen to much oil blow a head completely off of an engine, due to the compression of the engine trying to compress oil and literally pushing the head bolts till the break.

In the case where the head blew off, the pcv system sucked the oil up and into the intake and dumped it into the cylinders when the customer was going up a maintain and pushing it a little to hard.

As for what else could have caused this damage to the engine, There are a number of things that COULD have caused it, but non of them would have happened if the engine was not run 6-8 quarts over full.