Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Drivers side door will not open from inside or outside.

Customer Question
Drivers side door will...

Drivers side door will not open from inside or outside. can't take door panel off with door closed

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Porsche?

1983 Porsche 911

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 911 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Removing the knob on inside and trying to turn with wrench. won't work

Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Porsche
5/29/2018
Porsche Mechanic: DubAutowerks, Auto Mechanic replied 23 days ago
DubAutowerks
DubAutowerks, Auto Mechanic

I'm going to answer even though I know it's probably not an answer you'll hit accept on and I won't get paid, because I'm a German car enthusiast and I want to help, and I know what's wrong.

Unless somehow one of your handles was already not working, and you waited until the other became disconnected too, the door latch has failed and isn't responding to the rods pulling on it.

Unfortunately, you can't easily get the door panel off without the door open, in fact you'll probably have to ruin it to do so, so I hope you don't have a rare interior, and maybe look at car-part.com for a used panel of the right type.

When this happens you basically have to bust the panel, because it's stuck behind the dash, and then you need to try to remove the window, so you can insert an air grinder into the door an cut the latch apart with the grinder, while trying to not nick the inside of the panel in a way that will show on the outside of the vehicle.

You won't like it, but this is NOT a backyard mechanic job, not unless there's nothing remotely collectible about the vehicle and the paint is already horrible on that door. You're going to be cutting something off that you could EASILLY slip and cut through the outer panel on worst case scenario, best case you have metal sparks that if directed in one spot too long could still bubble up the paint, you won't even be able to see what you're trying to cut apart, and likely, again the door panel.

A professional MAY be able to peel the panel back far enough at the rear edge to get a tool in there and cut it apart,and definitely will have a greater assortment of strange picks and tools to try to get to the latch and release it. But it's bolted to the inside of the door from the now closed outside. and not responding to opening from the inside OR the outside, and I'm guessing it's actually unlocked and just faulty....

I'd rather help you not destroy your 911 than anything. This takes professional technicians HOURS to attempt to solve. It's frustrating, if this was a Hyundai I'd be like yea go for it....