Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Boxster will no turn over. New fully charged battery is…

Customer Question
2000 Boxster will no...

2000 Boxster will no turn over. New fully charged battery is installed. Immobilized is dry. Can turn key, but no sound at all. Has been starting fine until battery died. Replaced battery , but no crank. Help

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

Have tried both park and neutral. Does have a wheel lock, but I can turn wheel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?

I do all of my own work. Just started with the battery replacement. Car is garage kept, so no water under seat.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just that this is first time for this problem.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Porsche
3/26/2018
Porsche Mechanic: DubAutowerks, Auto Mechanic replied 2 months ago
DubAutowerks
DubAutowerks, Auto Mechanic
The first thing I would do since the problem started after the battery died is a capacitive discharge. Sometimes when the battery dies like that and causes the modules to get out of sync and then they won't communicate with each other.Normally when you turn the ignition key off, all of the module signal to each other that they know that the key is been turned off and that they need to go to sleep.When the battery dies, they lose their synchronization.Removing the negative cable from the battery and touch it to the positive cable for 20 to 30 minutes. You don't have to remove the positive cable from the battery as long as the negative is disconnected, but if it makes you feel better you can.Always make sure you disconnect the negative cable first and then the positive cable, when you reconnect do the positive cable first and then reconnect the negative cable last. Failing to do it that way will cause the same issue.Let me know if that solves the problem, if I have answered your question your satisfaction please remember to accept because that is the only way the site will pay me.If you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask, you can ask even after hitting accept.Keep in mind one possibility is that the battery could have died because one of your control modules failed, that control module could be related immobilizer system.