Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I need to remove and replace the airbag control module on a…

Hi, I need to remove...
Hi, I need to remove and replace the airbag control module on a 2008 Porsche Cayenne GTS. I have read that it is located under the center console but I would like more detail so I can remove it efficiently. How do I remove the airbag control module? thanks
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/26/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Click on link to view The pdf file and step by step direction to replace the module

1- The procedure will require a capable scanner

2-I also like to bring you attention this TSB bulletin on replacing modules and the issue is not the module

PLEASE CLICK ON LINK TO VIEW TSB AND RR PROCEDURE FOR MODULE YOU REQUESTED

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May receive My my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You?Chad Farhat?ASE Certified Technician

Click on link to view pdf file

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
From the first file it appears like the control unit is under the passenger seat, correct? It is hard to tell from the photo. Can you confirm? I would like to remove it and send it to be cleared of codes by a SRS module service.
Thanks

yes sir it is under PASSENGER SEAT

if you sending it out for clear service then i believe they come plug and play ,so no scanner necessary ,you should be okay ,

If more help is needed, Please use the reply Tab to continue our conversation.

, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click here or above).

You can Rate at Any Time and we Can Continue to work on your question as This Will Not Close out your Question.

I work on delivering the best answer and help but in some cases,

It can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Chad Farhat
Customer reply replied 24 days ago
One last question. In some of my searches I've seen a recommendation to disconnect the battery when removing the air bag module. The instructions in the pdf do not mention that. Should the battery be disconnected to do this procedure?
Thanks

ABSOLUTELY 100 % DISCONNECT BATTERY BEFORE WORKING ON AIR BAG SYSTEM ,ANY YELLOW CONNECTORS ARE AIRBAGS

THE INSTRUCTION SHOULD HAVE SAID THAT BUT IF DID NOT IT IS A MISTAKE , I USUALLY DO NOT READ THAT I KNOW THAT BY HEART ,I M GLAD YOU ASKED

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Perfect. Thanks.

Thank you for the Rating :)

If you need my assistance in the future, Start your Question with (FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY) or Go to my profile page

You can also add me as Favorite expert for any future questions

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Looking further into this the module in the instructions looks like the weight sensor module. I need to remove the airbag sensor module (SRS). Are these the same? They seem to be different modules.
Thanks

Looking again at instructions ,only seat needs move forward and you should be able to access it , then removing the cover, 3 screws and unplugging 2 connectors

no they are not , we have 2 different parts Numbers for them read below

1-

2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (9PA)

V8-4.8L Turbo

Parts and Labor

• Vehicle
  • Restraints and Safety Systems
  • Air Bag Systems
  • Seat Occupant Sensor
  • Parts and Labor

Parts and Labor

Parts InformationOEM PartPrice

Passenger Discriminating Sensor

Passenger Discriminating Sensor95561875003 $418.68

2-

2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo (9PA)

V8-4.8L Turbo

Parts and Labor

• Vehicle
  • Restraints and Safety Systems
  • Air Bag Systems
  • Air Bag Control Module
  • Parts and Labor

Parts and Labor

Parts InformationOEM PartPrice

Diagnostic Module

Diagnostic Module ***********$1414.56

Labor InformationSkill LevelMfg. WarrantyStandard

Replace

Diagnostic ModuleB0.02.0

WARNING: Before Repairing Any Air Restraint System, The Battery Cables And Any Back-up Power Supplies To The System Must Be Disconnected In Order To Prevent Accidental Deployment.

Related Information

Parts and Labor

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
The airbag control module is in the same location as the passenger discriminating sensor (under the passenger seat)? I want to make sure I remove the correct unit. I need to remove the airbag control module (no 2 above).
Thanks

no it is not ,

it is is part of the seat cushion mat itself ,

this is the link again , it is not possible to miss it ,

http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/jhook1398/0aa103cf-e782-4fc2-8a1d-95d833d9d6e6_SRS.pdf

I would double check this srs rebuild service , you might still need dealer scanner , ask them if you send it out will it need a scanner to reinstall , does come re calibrated ,instead you wasting time taking it apart

and the tsb bulletin i sent you earlier about the seat buckle ,make sure that is not the case and you replacing module for nothing

like tsb mentions

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
I will double check the SRS module rebuild service. Thanks for mentioning this. I thought that there may be the PIWIS calibration required after the SRS module is re-installed.
I apologize to continue asking but I am still not clear. The instructions provided are for the removal of part***********or*********** I need to remove part number***********
RR is for the part #***********,
The actual air bag module under passenger seat , the one in picture diagram ,
No worries you ask as many follow ups , is you are comfortable doing it , get it rebuild and pay shop to do it that a porshe scanner if needed .
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat