Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Was low on oil, check engine light came on. Immediately

Was low on oil...

Was low on oil, check engine light came on. Immediately filled with oil, then had complete oil filter and oil change. Diagnostic codes read P2187/P2189 in both banks. Mechanic thought it was a failed oil cap. Replaced cap, but cAr blows a lot of white smoke when starting...does Not smell sweet. The check engine light keeps coming on, same codes. Have cleared codes 3 times in 24 hours. All gauges read normal, car seems to be running fine. I am concerned.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It is a 2007 Targa 4S, 64,500 miles. It stays on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Targa yourself? What have you tried so far?

I own several cars and have a mechanic who works on them all. He services many dealerships.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That is all

3/24/2018
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, the combined symptoms of white smoke at start up(this is excess fuel burning in the exhaust) and fault codes of P2187 and P2189 indicate a problem with one of 3 things, which will all need to be tested

Fuel pressure too high(pump or pressure regulator)

MAF sensor incorrect reading causing too much fuel in fuel to air ratio

leaking fuel injectors

My experience with the F6 engine is that it is usually the MAF sensor in most cases. I have seen a few fuel pressure regulator or pumps cause these codes, but have yet to encounter leaking injectors as the underlying cause

Your mechanic needs to test the MAF sensor and then if ok, check fuel pressure and replace regulator or pump as called for by test results

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating
Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you
Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
What can I expect for the cost of repair for each of the 3 items listed?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Also, should I have it towed to the mechanic or is it ok to drive until Monday?

HI,

Give me a few minutes to pull up the labor and part costs for each

Yes, it will be safe to drive until Monday

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I am suspecting a fuel pump because I have heard a strange noise that last 1-2 seconds that almost sounded like metal on metal. This has happened 2 times and the light came on within a couple of minutes. Like maybe the pump was beginning to fail?

HI,

MAF sensor lists for $660 and is 0.9hr to replace, about $90 labor. Total about $770

Fuel pump lists for $475 and 4 hours to replace, about $400 labor. Total about $875

Fuel pressure regulator lists for $260, 1.8hr to replace, about $180 in labor. Total about $440

That does sound like the fuel pump. With the noise now, I would not drive it this weekend as it very possibly could leave you stranded

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
More concerned about engine damage than a tow....am I still ok?
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thank you for your insight. You have been extremely helpful.

HI,

Still safe in regards ***** ***** damage. Worst case, the pump fails and you call a tow.

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Was getting ready to drive the car and noticed the oil pressure is at 5. Before driving any distance, is this a problem?

HI,

Minimum at idle is 1 bar.

Minimum at 2000 rpms is 3 bar

As long as you are at that or above, you are fine

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
I was afraid it was too high.

Was it at idle and how warmed up was the engine

Customer reply replied 25 days ago
Cold. Drove for a few minutes to get the oil temperature up. Seemed to come down some, but was bouncing around. Even at lower speeds it went up to 5. It did drop to around 2.5-3 when idle.

HI,

5 bar is within limits, but is at the higher end. As long as it stays in the 1 to 3 bar range at idle and doesnt drop below 2 bar when accelerating, it is safe

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
The mechanic says it is grey smoke

Did he mention any smell to it - fuel, oil, sweet like coolant?

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Thinks it is oil

HI,

Ok, possibly the crankcase ventilation system - pcv or oil separator. I have replaced a few oil separators on these engines over the years.

If it is the separator, about $185 on the part and 3.6 hours labor

Customer reply replied 20 days ago
Would one of those items cause the noise we heard? Or is it possible that the noise was a misfire?The smoke ONLY shows after the car has been sitting. Doesn't happen while running.
Either pcm
Sorry typing on phone. Either the separator or p c v can cause the smoke after sitting awhile. The noise may have been a misfire, which can be caused by oil getting on the plugs
Customer reply replied 20 days ago
you think replacing the oil seperator or PCV will fix it?

yes

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Are there a bunch of hoses that get replaced when you fix the separator?Also, they are telling me the spark olugs need replaced. Thoughts on cost expectations?

For the spark plugs, you are looking at 2.6 hours labor, about $260. OEM plugs will run around $120 for the set. Total about $380

The only reason to replace any hoses going to the oil separator are if they are damaged or weakened by the excess oil. My experience is they can be cleaned out with some non chlorinated brake clean and reused

If they need to be replaced, should be around $200 for the hoses and no additional labor as they are removed anyway to replace the separator

Customer reply replied 15 days ago
Where can we order parts from?

HI,

Pelican parts is always my go to Porsche parts source. They carry the plugs, oil separator, oil separator hoses and just about every part ever needed for the Targa 4S

https://www.pelicanparts.com/Porsche/index-SC.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIu4yCkcmj2gIVA7bACh1QlQDhEAAYASAAEgLOG_D_BwE

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager