Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I've just experienced a PSM failure and check engine light…

Customer Question
I've just experienced a...

I've just experienced a PSM failure and check engine light on my 2012 Panamera S Hybrid

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stayed on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Panamera yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've not tried anything yet. It just happened on the way home 10 mins ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what could be the problem

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Porsche
3/15/2018
Porsche Mechanic: DubAutowerks, Auto Mechanic replied 1 month ago
DubAutowerks
DubAutowerks, Auto Mechanic
For me to answer this question I really need you to scan the vehicle, at the very minimum I need the faults from the engine computer with a OBD2 scan tool.Does the engine still run? Is the engine running poorly and if so at idle or while driving mostly or all the time? Is the check engine light blinking or is it just steadily on? What other information can you provide me with?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The engine still runs. When the car shifts gears, it feels like it stutters but that may be the tires slipping. I'm not sure. The check engine light came on shortly after the PSM failure light came on. The CEL is on steady, not blinking. I don't have a OBD2 tool so there's no way to know the fault codes. Just wanted to know how big of an issue I'm potentially looking at.Thanks!
You can borrow or rent a scan tool from the auto parts store to get the fault from the engine computer.Also, purchasing an elm327 compatible Bluetooth dongle will allow you to use an app on your phone like the Torque app, which allows you to read OBD2 faults and real time sensor values from the OBD2 system.There are HUNDREDS of fault codes and problems that you could have, running the gamut from a faulty coolant temp sensor, to an engine that has jumped timing and is about to blow up.The fact that the PSM light is on as well narrows it down because that is part of the ABS system, so the issue is a component that is shared between the two systems, and that narrows it down to the mass airflow sensor, throttle body, brake light switch, and possibly the crankshaft position sensor.If the vehicle still seems to be running correctly then my guess is the mass airflow sensor is faulty, or like the oil seperator has failed and is causing the mass airflow sensor adding to be thrown off.Run to the auto parts store tomorrow and grab me the fault codes from memory.While you're there, open the real time sensor values and read the mass airflow sensor reading and write it down at both idle, and 2000 RPM while sitting stationary.If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name, because otherwise the site won't pay me for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow up questions even after you hit accept.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This morning, the PSM failure went away by itself. CEL is still on. I went and borrowed a diagnostic tool and read the code. There's P0236 and P0237. I think these have to do with the boost sensor. There were no code for the PSM. I'm not sure if the two issues are related but it's strange that the PSM failure came up and then CEL came up within a few minutes of each other. Have you see this happen in other Porsche cars? What is causing the boost sensor to throw a code? I reset the code but is it safe to drive?
Well, it is kind of common because the boost and maf sensors are used for the PSM as well. These faults mean that the vehicle detected an abnormality between what the boost sensor is saying and what the vehicle is calling for or what the MAF is saying. The fault will probably come back, could be a boost leak or that the sensor is failing.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I thought the PSM has to do with traction control. How is it related to the boost and MAF sensors?
Because traction control modulates the throttle body to control engine load when it detects the vehicle is losing traction one of its wheels to sort of simulate a limited slip differential. It cuts throttle, then it locks the slipping wheel to transfer power to the opposite side wheel.It needs to know how much boost and air the engine is in taking so it can make adjustments to the throttle body.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
An unrelated question, the oil level gauge sometimes show full and then after I open and close the hood, the gauge resets and show oil at low level. I open the hood again to let it reset, it then show full. Is there something wrong with the sensor or is this normal from time to time. How do I trust the gauge?
DubAutowerks
DubAutowerks
DubAutowerks, Auto Mechanic