Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I need someone that has good knowledge re: electrical

I need someone that...

I need someone that has good knowledge re: electrical issues

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Porsche?

2000 Boxster

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?

When I purchased the car 2 years ago, the acceleration function on the cruise control arm did not work. Everything else with cruise control worked. I recently upgraded the dash gauge cluster to a cluster from a 996 of the same year to gain the volt meter and oil pressure gauges. Everything after the upgrade works fine except now cruise control doesn’t function at all. The green cruise light comes on when the key is turned to the on position and goes off as it should when the engine is started. It does not come on when the cruise button on the arm is depressed while driving. I checked the related switches on the clutch and brake pedal arms as well as the fuse in the fuse box.

Mechanic's Assistant: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?

Read my previous comment

3/7/2018
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Ok

I don't see that light in this cruise wiring diagram, so I assume it is in the interior light wiring diagram, so let's begin by checking the B7 fuse in the fuse support B.

I already checked that fuse. It it also the circuit for the brake lights. Fuse is good and brake lights work

Ok, when you say, " I checked the related switches on the clutch and brake pedal arms " did you actually check if the voltage from that fuse was making it to them?

No. I slowly depressed the pedals while listening for a “click” sound in the switches as recommended in troubleshooting guide.

Ok, check for voltages there then move onto checking for voltages at the MFI-DI control unit, with the key on/ engine off and the switches powered when checking them wires. refer to that wiring diagram for the pins.

Ok, I am not with the car at the moment. Where is the MFI-DI control unit located?

Under the hood, left side.

Under the front trunk hood?

Oh, engine compartment.

with upgrading the dash gauge cluster, could that change affect the cruise control system or is it more likely a coincidence that this happened?

I would have to say coincidence cause I don't see anything in that wiring diagram that would be on the cluster. Do you? Or is there any cruise lights on the cluster that I am not aware of?

Is the cruise light on it?

The cruise light comes on as does all the other lights when the key is turned on. They all go off once the engine is started. The cruise light does not come on while driving the car and depressing the cruise bitten at the end of the control arm
The cruise light is on the gauge surface. So it is related to the system in someway

The cruise light on the gauge surface is on the instrument cluster or not?

My main concern was eliminating the change in dash gauge clusters as the cause of the problem. It appears that it is most likely a coincidence and that the cruise malfunction happened on it’s own
The light is on the instument cluster

Yeah, I agree since the bulb does come on for bulb check.

Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician