Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

04 Cayenne S 4.5 starts flawless first time. If you shut it…

04 Cayenne S 4.5...

04 Cayenne S 4.5 starts flawless first time. If you shut it off after starting or drive 2 hours, it will not start. All lights come on including headlights, steering unlocks, ect. But will not turn over. Let it set 20 minutes, starts great.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

90k miles. Was told to replace battery in fob. Made no difference.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cayenne yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. I own a hot rod shop in Maine. This is my first Porsche

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Thats all I can tell you at this point THank you.

1/16/2018
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician

Hey there, thanks for the question.

So after a drive and cutting off the engine, when you go to restart it then engine doe snot even turn? you just get a click and the accessory lights come on?

Correct. It will do the same thing if you start it and shut it right off it will not start again everything lights up but the start I will not turn. If you let it set 20 minutes starts normal

Sounds like a failing starter. Not entirely uncommon on these Cayennes with age.

i assume you made sure the battery cables were nice and tight? a loose battery cable will cause the same issue as well.

If that’s the case, why does it always start the first time?
never start second time unless it sets
Battery tests great in all terminals are clean and tight.

because when the solenoids starts to fail it is effected by heat. The started heats up from the initial amperage draw. As you allow it to cool it starts working again. Sometimes tapping the starter when this happens will make it crank right away.

Not trying to be difficult, but does that hold true fir the starter relay as well?

Your not being difficult.

Generally relays stick when cold, not hot to be honest. They are on/off relays switched by coils.

I rarely see starter relays fail regardless of the manufacturer these days and when they do they are not intermittent in most cases. You could rule out the relay fairly easier meter testing the small wire to the solenoig when attempting to start.

Starter is not accessible unless intake manifold is removed. So impossible to access without disassembly

of course, you test at the junction not at the solenoid. Your just looking for power leaving the relay were not suspicious of a wire break so testing at the source is nto entirely relevent here.

Understood.
Any tips on wire color and or location?

starter wire is red/black and runs to the underhood fuse box.

directly under the starter relay. Otherwise you would remove at the relay test the incoming voltage.

Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Great. Thank you fir your help

your most welcome.

Jake
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician