Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

06 Cayenne S 85k miles. 1. Get a 1sec squeal just as it

Customer Question
06 Cayenne S 85k miles. 1...
06 Cayenne S 85k miles.
1. Get a 1sec squeal just as it starts. Replaced belt, water pump as part of preventative maintenance below. Still occurring. What might it be?
2. Had to have plastic coolant pipes replaced so also did al fluids, filters, belt, hoses, h2o pump, thermostat, etc done. $5k on $10k vehicle. This incl all diffs, xfer case, & atf fluids. Get atf leak. Why would atf fluid change cause transmission leak. What could it be. Local Porsche shop says needs transmission seals for 2k or worst case 5k rebuilt transmission. Debating whether worth it.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Porsche
1/12/2018
Porsche Mechanic: Wolfgang, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, ASE Certified Technician

Welcome, I'm Wolfgang.

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website. I or another may take the call if you request one.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

the squeal are you sure its from the belt area or could it be from the starter when after started where the bendix gear stays in too long and with the lack of lube causes it to squeal?

do you have a recording of the noise?

did you service the trans service yourself or the shop?

thanks

I will try and get you a recording of squeal. It’s not every time. Haven been able to correlate with an event, time, temp etc.
No idea whether it the belt but that was one item I tried to eliminate by having maintenance done by local shop not Porsche but sell and service Audi, Porsche, Volvo, Aston, Jag. UK owner. ATF done by shop. Xfer and diffs done by another non Porsche shop.
Plastic coolant pipes cracked and replaced with metal ones by Porsche shop. I learned Starter is in back of V between cylinders and can be an issue when coolant leaks in V.
Is there a way to lube bendix?

with the coolant getting on the starter basically the damage is done and then the corrosion begins . you better off replace the starter if the noise is from the starter area!!

recording may help me to narrow the area!!

I’ll try tomorrow. What does a starter cost to replace. Is it difficult to access?

it is about a 5 hr job . the intake manifold needs to be removed to gain access . intake gaskets will be needed too if you replace the starter.

Ok now onto ATF issue. If I need transmission stuff with starter then it just gets more expensive.

where is the leak? in the bell housing area?

They said it was a seal. I’ve not tracked it down myself.

front pump seal? output shaft to transfer case seal ? it depends of the area and $$$$$$

Tomorrow I’ll get under it and see where it might be coming from. Leak is not constant.
Looks like when it’s pressurized/ hot.

ok keep me in the loop!!

Talk tomorrow thanks.

my pleasure!!

Update. It didn’t make squeal when started today. Re ATF leak will have to get it on a lift to see where it might be coming from.

ok thanks for keeping me in the loop

I’m going to be away to Feb 1 so won’t get it on lift before then to see where atf is leaking from.
I’ll see if I can record squeal tomorrow.
Don’t have enough info to judge how to rate you yet so haven’t. So far so good though.
Porsche Mechanic: Wolfgang, ASE Certified Technician replied 6 months ago

ok thanks for keeping me in the loop