Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 1990 Porsche 911 battery is draing quickly, When I try to…

Customer Question
My 1990 Porsche 911...

My 1990 Porsche 911 battery is draing quickly, When I try to jump start with a portable charger red on positive with negative to metal on car. the car will not charge. if I try to connect negative to negative a big spark occurs. what should I do?

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

No head light will not go on. It month ago it was jump started two weeks ago. when I tried to restart one week later. will not start

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 911 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have tried using a portable jump starter with full power and nothing happens. I then used a new top rated portable charger that I bought and again nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I do not know what to do next.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Porsche
1/9/2018
Porsche Mechanic: Jake, Automotive Technician replied 6 months ago
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician

Hey there, thanks for the question.

Sounds like your battery is bad. If the battery will not fully charge or hold a charge then the battery has an internal cell failure. Using a jump pack here won't help much.

Generally you WILL NOT get a big spark unless the battery cable is switch around backwards, or part of the positive cable/handle is grounding out against something. So please verify the cables are the right way on both ends if that's the case.

The only thing that will literally drain a battery fast is a faulty alternator one way diode. it will cause the alternator to drain the battery instead of charge it.

My guess here is you need to get a good battery in the car and clean up the terminals.