Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Intermittent no throtle response. other times when driving…

Intermittent no throtle response...

Intermittent no throtle response. other times when driving dies but able to restart immediately.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Porsche?

2000 996 C4 Coup

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Experienced Porsche shop have tried everything they can think of and problem persists.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Connect me to whom?

I have a scan of my notes and service notes which I would like to send to you.
How?
1/9/2018
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician

Hey thanks for the question. I would be happy to go over the service notes.

SO intermittent no throttle response and stalling, but will restart immediately right?

Above the chat box, is a little paperclip icon, you can use that to upload your service notes.

Jake,
There is no paperclip icon above this chat box. there is a "+Add files" to the left of "Send"
Yesterday I attached the following file:
Porsche Engine Dying Notes 20171206 20180108.pdf
and there is a green ck mark in front of this file underneath the "rather talk than type" box
I'm not a mechanic so whatever you diagnose and recommend will require review by my mechanic and the car be taken to him.
Pls advise as to best way to proceed. I'm on Pacific Std. Time.
I'm a lousy typer.
Sheldon
After you have reviewed my notes I would like your diagnosis in writing along w/ your contact info so my mechanic can communicate directly w/ you.

Thank you for the notes, looks like the shop made an honest effort based of the fault codes present and eventually replaced the throttle assembly to correct the issue. This was the most reasonable repair path at this point obviously, so no concerns with that. It would not have surprised me if they would have replaced the pedal assembly at the same time as they can cause the same throttle faults.

Granted I do find it off that there is an intermittent MAF fault being generated as well. So i would hope that at the least they cleaned the MAF since they can generate a fail safe condition in some cases.

FWIW I have seen similar symptoms from a wheel speed sensor that was faulty, only identified by graphing the sensors while driving. I have also seen the brake switch cause acceleration issues, but never result in stalling.

You need to start by cleaning the MAF and graphing the speed sensors and logging pedal position sensor readings. If the problem is EXTREMELY intermittent you may actually have to replace some parts without concrete logs verifying the faulty readout though.

Sent your findings to Bryan, my mechanic. will get back to you after he responds
Great, thanks
My mechanic, Bryan, has reviewed your suggestions and agrees they are potential fixes. Car sched for serv next wk. We will be dealing w/ your suggestions somewhat sequentially and since the problem is intermittent and car is not driven frequently this dialogue will remain open for some time. I am satisfied w/ your advice on this matter and agree to pmt to you of the bal of fee owing. Will keep you posted on status and resolution of problem.
Not a problem, we can keep the question open as long as you need.All I ask is that you scroll up and leave me a kind rating when you get a chance.
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician
Jake,
Thank you for your good advice. It appears that the throttle pedal component, which we replaced last, was the culprit. Since then the engine has not died or the engine unresponsive to the throttle.
Sheldon
Fantastic, thanks for letting me know!
Jake
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician