Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2001 boxster when it gets cold the ignition key…

i have a 2001 boxster when...
i have a 2001 boxster
when it gets cold the ignition key become hard to turn
when it freezes, I have to turn the key with both hands for it to turn, so i can start the car.
yesterday the socket broke (not the key). now it turns loosely without the ability of starting the car.
1- what is the name of the part that broke? how difficult/costly is it to fix it? can I do it myself?
2- will I be able to start the car in another way? if so, how? what about the company issued key, will it work without it?
3- can you show a sketch or a drawing that shows the structure of the ignition key are and the part that broke?thank you
1/6/2018
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

1-the part name is ***** ***** switch lock cylinder barrel ? yes you can replace yourself but it will need to be taught to the car using capable Porsche or equivelant scanner ?

2- you want be able to start it with out that unfortunately

3-click on link to view pdf file of steps to replace and picture location and part # for the part

4-. If a new transponder (new lock barrel with new key) is used, the new key must be taught using capable scanner .

5- even with the company key if the tumbler inside the lock cylinder wore out it will not turn for you to start it

Note The transponder is located in the key. The new transponder is taught with the Porsche System Tester 2. A new transponder can be taught to the vehicle in the system "Alarm system", menu "Teaching functions" / submenu "Transponder key". Access to IPAS is necessary in order to teach the transponder.

This the part # needed

2001 Porsche Boxster (986) F6-2.7L

Save Article

Parts InformationOEM Part #Price

Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder

Ignition Lock Cylinder

Uncoded

Part #***********$283.22

Coded

Part #99634791701 $387.25

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Chad Farhat
Ya Chady el Al7an.... Saba7 el Kheir.Thank you for the insightful and informative reply. Much appreciated.
any idea how much repair will cost? can any mechanic change it or does it need to be taken to a specialized porsche mechanic? i'm not taking it to the dealer...can't handle the khazou2 :)

you will need a specialized tech , i would suggest cause he will have the scanner needed

this here is 2.3 hour labor job

so i m going to say $300 max on labor and $300 on the part is reasonable

Thank You For The Rating :)

IF you need my Assistance in The Future on a Different issue , Just start your Question with ( FOR CHAD FARHAT ONLY)

or Click on the link Below to Enter My Profile & Under My Picture Profile There is a Box That Says (Ask Your Question)

It will be Highlighted in Orange, Type your Question in The Box & It will be sent straight To Me to Assist you .

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-chadfarhat/?rpt=3800

I suggest the cheapest way is to buy the part yourself ,on ebay or online

and you provide the part ,call around and ask the shop if they have a scanner that can reprogram Porsche keys, if they do just ask how much labor and you providing parts

can it be bought used? from another car for parts?
are u a mechanic in the tri state area?

no we can not do that :)

cannot do that....
for buying a 2nd hand part
or giving out your info
or both?

i m in south Carolina , i had repair shops for 27 years , i retired 2 years ago from working on cars and closed the shop , i only work on website now.

i wish i still had shop , would have hooked you up

really this not a big deal, a lot of shops have capable scanners now days that can do that do not have to be dealer

ask for price before you take it in ,so no surprises when go picked it up

akh... nothing like being in the carolinas nowadays with this frigid weather.
i've had the car for over a decade now. but now it's like watching a loved one grow older and older and fall apart by the day...
so, since i have ur coordinates now, and an unlimited subscription, I'll make sure to ask for you by name.
enjoy your retirement my friend, and thanks for your answers. talk soon INSHALLAH.

INSHALLAH ,SALEM

YES IT HAS BEEN COLDER HERE LIKE 19 ,WE NEVER SEE THAT BEFORE

AWESOME WE TALK TO YOU SOON

i M LEBANESE AMERICAN , been here long time .lol