Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Trying to find out why is the 2009 997 cars alarm going off…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, trying to...

Hi Pearl, trying to find out why is the 2009 997 cars alarm going off at times? Diagnostic data doesn't support any sensor malfunctions, or interior scanning alarm...

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried locking and unlocking the driver's side door using the key itself?

Only remote

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '09 Porsche?

997 carrera coupe

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Carrera yourself? What have you tried so far?

I'm actually a technician, with appropriate scanners.....but not seeing any info in the alarm cotroller about it, what would have set it off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Porsche
11/16/2017
Porsche Mechanic: Jake, Automotive Technician replied 5 months ago
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician

Hey there, sorry for the delay I see you have been waiting awhile for some help on this question.

If the car is still starting normally and the only problem your having is the actual panic alarm functions going off randomly, then the problem is likely not with the security system or alarm module itself, but the remote. Do you have a signal tech or any remote checking capabilities? I wouldn't be surprised if the malfunction is with the remote sending an unsolicited signal for the panic function.If you have no remote checking tools, simply remove the battery from the remote and let the car sit a couple days and see if that solves the problem. If so then at least you know the remote has some sand or corrosion in it causing hte issue.

The driver is in school, and the car is parked in the school parking lot.
The minimum distance is 50 yards and more, between key and car at that time.
At random times the alarm goes off.
I'm not onboard with your theory, that the key is sending a panic alarm signal to the car.
The distance between the two is not even reasonably close for the signal to reach the receiver in the car.
No radio signal checking capability, quite the rarity in the business.....
I'm more inclined to theorize that other radio interference in the parking lot is setting off the alarm of the Porsche.
The experiment U suggest however could be conducted, to remove the battery from the remote and lock the car with the key blade.
It still should start and run the engine fine, as long as the passive transponder functions OK in the ignition switch, and it should. the alarm would set except not with a radio signal. On the other hand, that will not keep the radio receiver of the car from listening to incoming signals, and act upon one that it understands............
I have to get back into that car when the y can spare it again, with another approach, [what will that be ?] Albert.
Do you notice anything odd when locking the vehicle? Like a double beep instead of the standard single beep?
From what I remember, [memory is a tricky thing] NO warning from the car, that it would not be happy about something while arming it from the remote. Like what U are mentioning. I'm tuned into that, to listen, since my vehicle behaves in a similar manner when I arm it, and say the trunk lid is not latched, it gives me a double chirp.
I would have to pass that thought on to the customer however, for them to be tuned in for, as well..
Who knows, they may well be. Generally customers are in better tune with their own vehicles than we are....
Regards, Albert. I'll come back with more as time goes on about the subject....

Thanks Albert, the 997 is a little different because of the key style and the lock/unlock function of it. Unlike the cayenne that beeps once normally, but beeps twice if something is left open. The Carrera does not beep at all (completely silent, pretty annoying in my opinion) but beeps once if something was left open. If it beeps it could be Driver’s door, Passenger’s door, Luggage compartment lid, Engine compartment lid, Glass rear hatch (Targa), or Glove compartment. No noise would indicate that it detects all closed.

Let me know, thanks.

I will get back to U on this one, as soon as I get word from the customer how the system behaves, and will gather accurate responses to the pertinent subject U brought up. I'll find out what type of sounds and confirmation does the car do.
I have not heard back from them for the better part of the last 2 weeks. They were happy with the last repair we done.
Did not go off yet for them. ....... I made a call last week once to enquire, but it was still behaving OK......Albert.
Sounds like great news to me, thanks.
Jake
Jake
Jake, Automotive Technician