Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I am looking at buying a 1991 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 3.6. The…

Customer Question
Hi. I am...

Hi. I am looking at buying a 1991 Porsche 911 Carrera 2 3.6. The guy is asking $26,000. It has 79,000 miles. I have not seen it in person, just photos of it. The car has all the maintenance records. The owner says it runs really well. Is $26,000 a fair price? And what are the problems that may crop up with the engine or mechanical function down the road?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

79000 miles. Manual.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 911 Carrera yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. None.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

What is the resale value of this kind of car?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Porsche
11/14/2017
Porsche Mechanic: internal88, Technician replied 8 months ago
internal88
internal88, Technician

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am reviewing it now and will reply again in a moment.

How is the condition of the car?

For 1991 - They are going from 25K -29K in excellent condition. Since he kept up with all the service records I'm assuming he took of it.

He says the car is in good condition. What kind of maintenance issues can arise with a car this age?

Mechanical Check:
Check the clutch pedal by pumping pedal hard 4-5 times. The clutch pedal should come up with no issue.
Tire wear acceptable and even
brake pad and rotor wear - inspect pads with flashlight, feel rotors for lip
remove engine & tranny under trays and evaluate engine oil leaks

Put it up on the lift if you have to.
inspect CV joint boots to see if they're cracked
remove front underside panel to look for steering rack leaking
inspect engine belts condition

Exterior Check:
all labels present with serial numbers on later cars on all body panels
label present with option codes under hood
body panel gaps are consistent on body
rear spoiler wall intact - check with spoiler extended
paint appears consistent in bright sunlight
window seals not pulling up or bubbling
if cabrio top - close top and spray hose at the front windows and roof where it meets the windshield to see if it leaks

Interior Check:
all warning lights work
all electrical functions work: window motors, sunroof, cabrio top, mirrors, radio wipers, etc.
in dark setting, turn on all the lights and see if gauge backlighting is even, and gauge faces are not cracked (not noticeable in day light)
any pitting of windshield or cracking
seat adjustments work properly

Are you asking the 79k miles maintenance f service?

At 79K miles, the air filter, spark plugs, brake fluid, spark plugs, oil and oil filter need to be changed out.

Other than that the 1991 is solid car.

Please rate me positive, thank you!