Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a intermittent error code P1117 on a 986 boxster.

I have a intermittent...

I have a intermittent error code P1117 on a 986 boxster. Replace the O2 sensor driver side behind the Cat it goes away for months and then comes back. Put another sensor and same patteren

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you located all of the vehicle's oxygen sensors? Are the wires leading to and from each intact and in good shape?

Yes everything looks good. Car has 68K miles on it an it runs perfect.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Boxster?

2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the O2 sensor behind the cat drive side twice. problem is it goes away and doesn't show up for weeks. If you reset the code it will also go away for weeks.

10/6/2017
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, ASE Certified Technician

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

On your issue you have an intermittent short on the heater circuit of the rear o2 sensor . on this you will need to replace the 2 wires from the 02 sensor to the corresponding wire connections with new terminals at both ends then retest.

good chance that the wires are chaffed causing this issue .

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Please do respond back no matter if you are needing more assistance or state that you are satisfied.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Wolfgang,I put the car on a lift and looked at the wires. Everything is clean and no signs of any damage all the way up to the main wiring harness. The car has 68K miles on it. Put it back together and no error, but it will go sometimes months before I see the check engine light come on. The code is always the same P1117. Again I've replace the O2 sensor with the same result. Both Bosch O2 sensors came with the connector as part of the sensor. Is there another place that could cause the problem. Do you have a wiring diagram I you can share?

i do need a vin # please to get that info!!

WP0CA2987YU622498

ok this will take a bit!!

update !! i did not forget you !! Porsche server been down in germany . once they get back online i can continue!!

Did you ever get the wiring diagram from Porsche? I'm a engineer and should be able to trace down the problem. Checked the sensor this weekend and cannot find anywhere that it would short. Wiring looks good going into the loom. Could it be another O2 sensor? Should I get one from Porsche vs Bosch?

i'm sorry my bad !! been in and out of the hospital

once i'm back in the office i will get that info!!

Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear that you were in the hospital.

here is the diagram for the o2 sensors

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

Thanks

Wolfgang

I cannot see the diagram. Can you save it as a PDF and resend.
It look like you zoomed in and it is very hard to read. Are the relays on the panel under the drivers side rear fender? There are 4 1" cube grey relays on that board is that them? Do the O2 sensor heating element use 12 volts to heat? Hard to tell from the diagram.
The error code P1117 comes and goes without clearing it. Is that normal?
Is the Bosch 15183 Oxygen Sensor, OE Type Fitment the correct one for this car. I noticed that the Porsche sensor is 3 times more expensive.

no the 4 cubed things are the o2 sensors itself. yes they have a 12 v heater

printing to pdf is giving a fit that is why the zoom!! that pertains to the heater circuit short to ground code!! yes because of the extra quality requirements hence the price .

Wolfgang
Wolfgang, ASE Certified Technician
I guess i'll swap the left and right side and see if it follows the o2 sensor. If it does I'll buy the Porsche O2 sensor.
Thanks

my pleasure!!