Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

What major service items should I ask about before I buy a…

What major service items should...
What major service items should I ask about before I buy a 2010-2012 Porsche Cayenne 3.6 with 60,000 or more miles on it?
9/28/2017
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Here are the service sheets we follow, so every odd year are minor maint and every even year are major service.

other then this you want to know if there were coils replaced since we have had major issues with ignition coils on these vr6 engines.

other then this the cayanne is pretty much indestructible. hope this helps

Please take a second and click the stars at the top of the screen to rate my service so I may be paid for my assistance.5 stars is ideal :) . Please save me as a favorite and request me in the future.Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, all it does is pay me for my help. You can still return here to me for follow up information if needed just simply reply back, thanks!
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Technician
Master ASE Certified

Porsche Bronze Certified

When should I expect to replace the timing chain?
The information you provided I was able to find in nearly every chat forum out there... I was expecting a bit more insider information based on your expertise.

lol, oh gotta love chat rooms!!!!

the timing chain is lifetime, there is no service interval for the timing chain.

there really is not much that goes wrong with the vr6 engine.

other then coils.

now if you were wanting the v8 that is a whole nother story.

I have been working on cayannes and tourags and audis for 10 years plus, same with vw and there really are not many issues with the cayanne as far as needed maintenence other then the service sheet. and that is my dealership insider experience.

drive shafts have issues once in a while but thats up in the higher mileage like 100k or so.

oh and I just need to remember how to spell Cayenne lol.

my apologies.

suspensions are tight, like really tight, we really dont have many upsells on these because they are stout autos. other then service work we dont do much on these.

once in a while you get a random oddball complaint but nothing out of the ordinary that would give alarm to a future owner.

is there something specific you saw that you are worried about? seeing that you asked about a timing chain. did you have a bad experience with one in the past?

Thanks Lou! Now this is the type of content I was looking for... I have read about the issues with the drive shafts. But I was not aware that the 3.6 has issues with the coils as well. Is there a certain year where Porsche corrected the coil issues? How about water pumps?
I heard about the Cayenne 8 cylinder (S, GTS etc...) having coil issues, but not the 6 cylinder.
No, I have not had any issues personally. A friend has an '07 Q7 and has to replace the timing (not sure if it is a belt or chain for this particular model year) and it is going to cost upwards of $5k. I am looking to avoid gotcha's like this.

waterpumps were an issue in the earlier models but not this model .

as for the coils, heck there are as common as spark plugs, for some reason vw (not porsche) has not made a good coil, might be better off getting aftermarket ones.

ours are always failing,

not sure if you know but the suv from porsche to vw to audi are the same with the same vw vr6 engine.

well the big problem with the vr6 is that the timing chain is in the back of the block between the engine and trans, all manufaturers are going to this setup to save space in the front of the engine which to me makes no sense. 5 inches is 5 inches.

so yeah if there is a issue or leak , engine and trans are coming down as an assembly.

that is the source of the high cost with a timing repair. Yes, I am aware of the same VW engine being used for all three makes.

yeah when you say timing you should also say trade it lol

I know in 10 years we are going to have the fanciest junk yards around.

because it will not be worth it to repair 600$ fuel injectors or 5k timing chain repairs.

I have heard it's a solid runner (VR6) and would like to use it as my daily vehicle. Can I expect to get 150k or more out of it? I am interested in the 2011 becuase I like thr re-design, but should I still consider a 2008-2010 with lower mileage?

no, stay with the redesign.,

just so much nicer

as far as the mileage yes.

150 is very do able. just keep oil changes performed with the correct oil, too many oil change places use bulk oil and think its a one size fits all which will do lots of harm

in the mileage you are wanting you can expect a valve cover reseal at some point as well as possibly a rear coolant housing leak , they use plastic everywhere so heat takes its toll .

Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Great info! Thank you! I'll be in touch if I have any further questions. You have now earned your rating.

also if you are a do it yourselfer or what not look at ebay for a iCarsoft porsche scanner.

I help customers with these and they are pretty good scan tools that can read the entire car and all the modules.

Best of luck to you, go for the certified, they have to have all the maintenance up to date before they can certify it as well as new tires.

have a good week,

I am here if you need me.

Lou

Thank you! Certified is my preference as well...

:)