Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Thinking of buying a 2001 boxster. has lots of new parts but…

Customer Question
Thinking of buying a...

Thinking of buying a 2001 boxster. has lots of new parts but the problem I'm seeing is when I shift it hard I mean pop the clutch really getting on it, it kind of bangs.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Clutch makes no noise, shifts very smooth going into all gears. tried putting it into 2nd gear and putting the hand brake on and letting out the clutch it bogged down so I think the clutch is good. just worries me when I shift hard.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?

No haven't done anything to it yet.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Porsche
9/19/2017
Porsche Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 9 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

There a few different additives you can put in the trans to help with that, but it does sound like the synchros causing it. They do wear out over time.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me
My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.