Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

I just bought a 2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. It has 105,000

miles on it and my...
I just bought a 2008 Porsche Cayenne Turbo. It has 105,000 miles on it and my only real complaint at this point is that it has a very rough idle, which sits almost below 600 RPM, and that for being a 500 hp twin turbo V8 I can hardly hear the engine sound at all. Instead I hear what sounds like just a bunch of low-quality whiny belt sounds, like something from a cheap Ford Crown Victoria taxi cab. What could be causing all that whining noise that's drowning out the sound of the actual V-8? Where to look first? And should I take it to a Porsche dealership and hope I don't get reamed with high cost maintenance repairs or is it OK at this point to take it to a relatively good reputation local car repair shop and have them troubleshoot it.
9/17/2017
eauto
eauto, the car guy

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

any warning lights on? is the noise coming from the belts/ pulleys? did you buy it from a dealer? warranty?

A check engine light came on not long after I drove it off the used car dealer lot. I did not notice the light during the test drive. I noticed on the fuel cap it said something about you will see a check engine light if it is not sealed correctly so perhaps has a bad gasket but the Carfax on the Virginia state inspection we're all completely in the green. The noise certainly sounds like it's coming from belts and pulleys. I literally just bought it then drove it seven hours straight to another state. I bought it from a somewhat shady looking used car dealership but the salesman was super Nice and threw in a lot of extras because I came from out of state to purchase it. Included in the cost was a basic three month unlimited mileage warranty from diamond warranty company, which is only for Engine and power train. Otherwise I bought it as is. I have a 2007 Mustang GT which has just the most glorious sounding V-8 engine. So that is one reason I am so shocked that this 500 hp twin turbo beast sounds like some old used taxicab except for when I really push on the gas and get the RPMs up.

if there is a noise from the pulley area i would have it checked out to find out whats going on..if the engine light is on It needs to be scanned with a scan tool to determine fault codes

Can I take it to a local repair shop like Goodyear, or is it totally necessary to take it into a Porsche dealership? I don't have a Porsche dealership near me, but I have several reputable auto repair shops. Thanks.

i would not suggest goodyear maybe a local independent german specialist someone who work on vw audis benzs etc..mot communities have a place like this

OK thank you. I just drove the vehicle all the way from Northfolk Virginia to Orlando Florida without any problems since I change the tires but I still have a check engine light and there are still some other oddities for lack of a better word. I think I will take it to the Porsche dealership in Orlando and have them officially take a look. I suppose I shouldn't complain with a high precision sports vehicle with over 100,000 miles that I picked up for less than 20 grand.

yes sounds like a great buy but you will likley sink a few dollars into it to make it right

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
John S

eauto
eauto, the car guy
Thank you!
eauto
eauto
eauto, the car guy