Porsche

Porsche repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2003 boxster, starts runs perfect. Won't start up after it…

Customer Question
2003 boxster, starts runs...

2003 boxster, starts runs perfect. Won't start up after it has been running. Turn the key and makes no sound; like it is dead. Was exploring clutch or DME relay

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?

Nope, no trouble with any of that. No trouble with ignition. Just when engine has been running, turn the key and nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Boxster yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nope, haven't done anything yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Porsche
9/8/2017
Porsche Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 9 months ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

when this happens its either a engine module or the starter.

the first thing I would check is the starter, test at the solenoid with a test light to see if it is getting power when cranking, if it is the issue is the starter. if it is not then we need to explore the engine module.

hope this helps

Lou

Please take a second and click the STARS at the top of the screen to rate my service 5 stars if you feel I have been helpful , rating is just as important to me as your issue is to you. Please request me in the future. Keep in mind that when you rate it does not end our conversation, you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Thanks for choosing just answer. Also , if you feel I deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks again ,
Lou P.
Master Mercedes-Benz Tech
Master ASE Certified Tech

Porsche Bronze certified

I don't think it is starter. I think it is a sensor/switch on clutch. Starts perfect. After engine has been running it won't start. Really won't do anything when you turn the key (all electronics work). Wait a few minutes, will start right up. Additionally my cruise just stopped working. I think there is a swith on clutch for that as well. Maybe this is causing it?

not sure why you would not take my advice, the only thing that can happen due to heat is starter or engine module,

if all electronics come on then i would suspect a starter.

thinking its not the starter is not diagnosis, its assumption. its the quickest way to determine if its the starter or not.

the problem with diagnosis today is every one forgets the basics, everyone wants to throw a computer or switch or sensor at the car.

my approach is start at the easiest thing and work backwards.

its worked for me for 20 years and 16 in the dealer world.

Lou

Hello, Im curious if you made progress on this or if you need or want more help?

please let me know, thanks, Lou