Porsche

Porsche Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Porsche

A deer hit my 997 Cab in the right front fender and it took…

A deer hit my...

A deer hit my 997 Cab in the right front fender and it took out my right side radiator. I ended up having a couple of incidents where my coolant temp went up due to trying to top off the coolant after installing a new right radiator. Now I am running at 210 to 220 degrees. I may also have a slightly increased oil consumption. I have to sign off on the insurance claim and I am concerned about the repairs having addressed all of my issues. I need advice! Thanks R.J.(###) ###-####

Mechanic's Assistant: When was your last oil change?

I changed the oil at 90,000 miles and then again at 92,000 as I wanted to try to clean my motor. I hit the deer at 93,000 and have about 94,000 on it now.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cab yourself? What have you tried so far?

I took my 911 to a very good body shop where the took off all damaged parts and replaced everything with Porsche OEM parts. The damage was not real deep.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I love my Porsche and want it in as close to perfect as I can get it!

8/29/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, before signing off on the insurance claim, 2 things need to be done.

The first is having a shop monitor the cooling fan operation to make sure it is kicking in at correct temperatures and correct fan speed, and repaired as needed if out of specs.

Second, have the cooling system properly bled with pressure bleeder per Porsche directions, which I have attached in pdf file for easy downloading/printing. If not pressure bled, which it sounds like it was not done, you have temp spikes and issues of low coolant level

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Hello Eric,I think that I have solved my issues with the coolant level. I have not had to add any coolant for about the last 400 miles or so. Your info on the proper way to change the Porsche sounds like a Dealer visit. Unfortunately the Porsche Dealer is 350 miles west of my ranch in Spokane Wash. and the Body Shop is 300 miles east in Great Falls Montana.
I am most concerned at this point with what operating temp should I feel comfortable with. Under a light load at 3,000 to 3,500 RPM I am running at 210 degrees for the coolant and 175 degrees for the oil. At a constant 4,000 RPM and above under load and climbing hills while accelerating the coolant temp goes up to 220 degrees but the oil temp stays at 175 at all times after warm up. Are these normal operating temps and what would be the optimal coolant temp?
I am concerned that the incident where I lost coolant at the time of the deer hit and another incident where low coolant caused my water temp to go over 250 degrees and my oil temp to briefly go over 200 degrees. This was for a very short time as I shut it down quickly but I am concerned that my engine is ok before signing off on the insurance claim. I am closely monitoring my oil consumption.
Finally I would like for you to tell me what I should look for in the way of safety issues with my suspension and any parts that may have been damaged by the deer that could possibly fail given that I do DRIVE this Porsche as Ferdinand intended. I spend a lot of time in triple digits on the speedometer.
I had my 911 aligned after all other repairs were completed and the results were:
Left camber –0.8 actual and before; right camber –0.6 actual and –0.9 before;
Left toe +0.03* and –0.03* before ; right toe +0.05 actual and –0.60 before (deer hit was on left side but biggest impact was to the right for toe?)
Front end: Cross SAI is -0.1*actual and –0.4 before; Total Toe 0.07* actual and –0.09* before!
Rear left: Camber –1.4* actual and –1.1* before; Toe -1.4* actual and –1.1* before
Rear right: Camber –1.4* actual and +1.5* before;
Rear Cross Camber- 0.0* actual and –0.4 before; Total Toe 0.41* actual and 0.38* before; Thrust Angle –0.01 actual and –0.03* before.
Any other guidance you may offer will be appreciated. PLEASE RESPOND TO MY EMAIL ADDRESS AS I DO NOT HAVE A SMART PHONE!***@******.***

HI,

To pull the operating specs, and the alignment specs, I need the vin number.

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager